Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About a year ago i got my GCSE result for maths on results day which was an A. Then today as i was clearing out a folder i noticed that in my certificate it stated that i got a C. Is there something wrong? Will i get in trouble because im nearly finishing AS level and i needed a B to get in AS maths. Should i tell my teacher?

ReputationRep:
    The certificate could be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MarcoCosta)
    About a year ago i got my GCSE result for maths on results day which was an A. Then today as i was clearing out a folder i noticed that in my certificate it stated that i got a C. Is there something wrong? Will i get in trouble because im nearly finishing AS level and i needed a B to get in AS maths. Should i tell my teacher?
    I assume the A was on the results slip while the C is on the certificate and the results slip is the correct one.

It's not overly important but it's worth making the relevant parties aware. Hopefully you've still got the results slip to show the discrepancy.

It's also worth getting hold of your exam board and explaining the issue so you can get a replacement certificate. It won't look good at University if you say you got an A at GCSE but your certificate says C. It's the sort of thing that can destroy an application. Save yourself the hassle.

While it doesn't matter all that much you're currently at the point where it does matter. Get it sorted asap to prevent any issues in the future but don't fret about it.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that the results on your certificate are 100% definitive and verified whereas the one you get in August aren't and subject to change? E.g. if they find out they messed up your marking or something?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd get in trouble. The grade B requirement is merely there to select students who apparently will not struggle to take the subject at AS level. With a C grade one could work equally hard, or struggle the same as someone who achieved a B. it is kind of subjective. people mess up on exams or do unexpectedly well all the time.

it's strange that your certificate has a different grade. On the original paper given on results day the total marks should be visible. So if you still have that, or ask school for it, you should be able to work out your grade using the grade boundaries. Perhaps the certificate has an error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I assume the A was on the results slip while the C is on the certificate and the results slip is the correct one.

It's not overly important but it's worth making the relevant parties aware. Hopefully you've still got the results slip to show the discrepancy.

It's also worth getting hold of your exam board and explaining the issue so you can get a replacement certificate. It won't look good at University if you say you got an A at GCSE but your certificate says C. It's the sort of thing that can destroy an application. Save yourself the hassle.

While it doesn't matter all that much you're currently at the point where it does matter. Get it sorted asap to prevent any issues in the future but don't fret about it.
    Is there any way i can contact them?

ReputationRep:
    Contact the exams officer at the centre where you took the GCSE to find out what really happened with your GCSE..

(Don't worry about AS - if you've kept up this far they aren't going to mind what GCSE you got).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is there any way i can contact them?
    Either find the exam board contact information or contact the school where you took the exams. Personally I'd just contact the exam board directly, saves hassle with the school.

Just go to their website and they'll likely have a contact page. Use whatever information is relevant on that. It'll vary for each exam board but a quick Google search will throw up the relevant information.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.