Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hi, does anybody know what sort of total mark is required to achieve an A* overall in AQA English language (GCSE)?

    The grade boundaries for the actual paper are available online and I know you need around 57/80 for the A*, but that paper is only 60% of the entire grade and there is also the controlled assessments which make up the other 40% and are also given a mark out of 80.

    I've got 67/80 for my controlled assessments, and am curious as to what I'd need to get in the exam on Tuesday in order to get a certain grade overall - my teacher told me I'd need 60/80 in the exam for an A and 72/80 for an A*, but it seems a bit weird that if I got an A for controlled assessments (67) and an A* for the exam (57) I'd still get only a B overall.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    57/80 for an A* in English Language AQA , pretty low , Im aiming for atleast 60 for a secure A*
    Not sure Overall, but Im guessing you need A* in exam and if not A* then an A atleast in CA overall.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    I think it is more complicated than you think, it is based upon UMS, so the coursework is weighted less than the exam. It is impossible to get an A in coursework and then an A* in the exam and then come out with a final grade of a B. Honestly, with 67/80 for your coursework you are going to need to perform well in the exam for an A*.

    However, I feel that aiming for a certain amount of marks is the wrong mindset. If I were you, I would simply aim for full marks (which I know is virtually impossible with AQA english lang) but if you just aim to get as many possible marks, the more likely you will come out with a better grade.
    Hope this helps
    • Political Ambassador
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CaedKnight)
    I think it is more complicated than you think, it is based upon UMS, so the coursework is weighted less than the exam. It is impossible to get an A in coursework and then an A* in the exam and then come out with a final grade of a B. Honestly, with 67/80 for your coursework you are going to need to perform well in the exam for an A*.

    However, I feel that aiming for a certain amount of marks is the wrong mindset. If I were you, I would simply aim for full marks (which I know is virtually impossible with AQA english lang) but if you just aim to get as many possible marks, the more likely you will come out with a better grade.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks, do you know if there is any information available to allow you to view the UMS required overall for an A*, or the way to convert coursework marks into UMS?
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

    Make your revision easier

    OMAM

    Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

    Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

    Notes

    Revision Hub

    All our revision materials in one place

    Love books

    Common grammar and vocabulary problems

    Get your questions asked and answered

    Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.