Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

depression affects one's ability to Learn? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a level one course in maths at the local college and I find that when I feel depressed It affects my ability to focus and concentrate on what I'm learning.
    since my child hood I have been prone to feeling depressed and I am convinced that to an extent it has affected my ability to mentally retain what I learn at college.
    but I also find that when certain questions are difficult to answer I start to feel stressed and that's when I feel like giving up.
    I find myself thinking of someone like Professor Stephen hawking and wondering how he was able to accomplish so much despite his severe disability?
    if anyone we would expect to suffer from deep depression it is him
    and yet his disability clearly has not affected his mental capability to learn.
    my disability is an anxiety disorder which means my mind and body is constantly in a state of anxiety.
    it is possible that that is part of the reason why I find learning things like maths so difficult?
    can anyone relate to me?

ReputationRep:
    I know what clinical depression is like. You can't focus on anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    I know what clinical depression is like. You can't focus on anything.
    that's so true Eden.
    but I keep trying and resist the urge to give up.
    Thanks for your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevor Tea)
    that's so true Eden.
    but I keep trying and resist the urge to give up.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Well done for keeping things going but it is worth seeking help/support to make sure that if there is ever an increase in stress it doesn't lead to further and more severe problems. I say this as this is what can happen if you leave these things untreated for many years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Well done for keeping things going but it is worth seeking help/support to make sure that if there is ever an increase in stress it doesn't lead to further and more severe problems. I say this as this is what can happen if you leave these things untreated for many years.
    Thanks for your advice Little Popcorn's.
    Ive had this anxiety disorder since childhood so I'm used to it but it deffo affects my ability to focus my mind properly.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought I have some mild to moderate depression and certainly anxiety for a while. Thought it was probably just me feeling down and making it bigger than it was but recently learnt apparently I was diagnosed as depressed back when I was younger (didn't recall..) so it seems more likely that I've retained it. In general, I find two disparate effects. I can use work as an outlet, as something to take my mind off everything, and end up doing loads and loads of it. Or I can be extremely unmotivated and do nothing. I guess things affect people in different ways and even the same person in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Hawking like anyone else started from the bottom in order to become who is today. You shouldn't compare yourself to others, because we are all unique. I've suffered from severe depression, especially during my formative years. And I've found that it helps to write down how you feel. That's why I started journaling, and writing down my thoughts whether they be dull, sad, or philosophical, etc. This helped me to overcome some of my anxiety.

Maybe you should take up a new hobby to take your mind off your studies? Don't worry too much about your studies, just do the best you can, then you will have no regrets.

ReputationRep:
    If you're struggling with Maths, you should check out the Khan Academy. It helped to learn calculus. It's a free, interactive resource that will give you more confidence with your Maths.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math

ReputationRep:
    difficulty concentrating on school stuff is definitely one of the worst things about periods of time where mental illness can spike - not only does it suck by itself, but in my experience it just makes me even more stressed because i cant get stuff done i need to.
    the way i deal with it is by acknowledging that honestly, once ive done everything i can to try and help my mental health (make sure ive taken my meds, rested, eaten something properly, etc.), theres not much more i can do, and no amount of worrying will make it possible. it will likely only prolong the downwards spiral.

try and focus on self care for a bit, if you can. tackling the problem at its roots is a good plan. being in a better place will help you retain more.

as for the stephen hawking part - we are all different with different abilities and needs. we deal with things differently and we experience different things. try not to compare yourself to others in this - its not a fair comparison, because they arent experiencing your mental health in the same way you are. (still, obviously know that youre not alone because although it may not be exactly the same, many people have gone through similar things to you and will find this relatable - i mean, i do).

either way, i hope things look up for a bit, op. keep on keeping on.☆

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevor Tea)
    I'm doing a level one course in maths at the local college and I find that when I feel depressed It affects my ability to focus and concentrate on what I'm learning.
    since my child hood I have been prone to feeling depressed and I am convinced that to an extent it has affected my ability to mentally retain what I learn at college.
    but I also find that when certain questions are difficult to answer I start to feel stressed and that's when I feel like giving up.
    I find myself thinking of someone like Professor Stephen hawking and wondering how he was able to accomplish so much despite his severe disability?
    if anyone we would expect to suffer from deep depression it is him
    and yet his disability clearly has not affected his mental capability to learn.
    my disability is an anxiety disorder which means my mind and body is constantly in a state of anxiety.
    it is possible that that is part of the reason why I find learning things like maths so difficult?
    can anyone relate to me?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Im currently in referral for depression and Its awful I cant focus on anything for very long and its affecting my subjects, especially chemsistry which needs such intense precision but i just have so little concentration i forget equations and stuff all the time as i jsut can concentrate or focus

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.