Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are 2 types of courses for my specialization. One is a 3 year course and the other is 4 years. The 1 year difference is the work-placement year. Is it free or does the employer pay me?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    There are 2 types of courses for my specialization. One is a 3 year course and the other is 4 years. The 1 year difference is the work-placement year. Is it free or does the employer pay me?
    It depends on the course, the majority are paid these days i believe.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Not all are paid it may be worth having a look at this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    You actually pay the employer these days......

ReputationRep:
    some are paid well, some are unpaid, sometimes you have to find your own, either way you will still have to pay the university during that year

most courses let you change your mind about doing/not doing a placement when it comes to it so it shouldn't matter which course you pick

ReputationRep:
    They will be paid. Any work placement in the UK that is a year or more, required part of your course or not, has to be paid, i.e. the only situations where you don't have to be paid are doing a semester in industry or stuff like hospital placements where you're moved about constantly and it's a required part of your course.

If you are in the UK and doing an internship that is unpaid and doesn't fit those criteria then you should report it immediately as it is very illegal, luckily it doesn't happen often because employers know how badly they can get punished for it. It's also a pretty good way of ruining your company's reputation amongst graduate job seekers and hence they end up with lower quality applicants because people don't want to be treated badly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.