The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pulse.
Slightly concerned that I am getting terrible scores on Numerical/Verbal reasoning tests but it's still early days.

glad I'm not the only one!
Original post by jsmn214
Hi I have a few questions!
Did you apply during your last year of uni or did you apply when you had finished. Also did you get any relevant work experience/internship? I don't have anything at the moment and I don't think I will in time to apply this year. So I am wondering if it would be better to wait till I have graduated and then I could get some work experience along the way! I was thinking about having a gap year any way!
But yeah any tips and advice would be really useful!
Thank you! :smile:

Hiya - I was actually doing my Masters, so I had handed in my final project at the end of August and applied when the streams opened in September. Most people I work with at the moment applied during final year of uni, but I know a lot of others who have come from other areas rather than straight from uni.

I didn't have any particular work experience or internships that were relevant! So certainly don't feel that you won't have a chance of getting in if you don't. If you're considering a gap year anyway it sounds like it might be worthwhile, but remember as there's a lot of competency-based stuff, those examples can come from any number of situations, not just from relevant work experience. The most important thing is what you've learned from situations, what skills you've shown and how those skills can be applied. :smile:
Reply 42
Hi Liv,

I am currently a Fast Track Apprentice working in the civil service. I am super gain to get onto the fast stream. In the application process are you required to fill out competency questions or is that done at the interview stage, it isnt clear on the application process.

Also what department and scheme are you on?

Thanks
Hi Liv.

Thanks very much for popping by, very kind of you.

I was just wondering about your comment that a lot of people come from their final year of uni straight into it. I was wondering if you thought there was a certain age that you tend to see a cut off at?

Is it uncommon to see freshly started 25/26/27/28 year olds? I'd love to do it, but naturally don't want to feel a bit out of place if most people are 21/22.

Did you buy books/ or go anywhere specifically ot practice for the tests?
Original post by Liv1204
Hiya - I was actually doing my Masters, so I had handed in my final project at the end of August and applied when the streams opened in September. Most people I work with at the moment applied during final year of uni, but I know a lot of others who have come from other areas rather than straight from uni.

I didn't have any particular work experience or internships that were relevant! So certainly don't feel that you won't have a chance of getting in if you don't. If you're considering a gap year anyway it sounds like it might be worthwhile, but remember as there's a lot of competency-based stuff, those examples can come from any number of situations, not just from relevant work experience. The most important thing is what you've learned from situations, what skills you've shown and how those skills can be applied. :smile:

Quoting for my above post because I forgot to quote you, woops! Thanks again.
Might as well apply. Nothing to lose.
Original post by Pulse.
Slightly concerned that I am getting terrible scores on Numerical/Verbal reasoning tests but it's still early days.

Nope I suck too.
Is anyone else struggling between the difference in 'Cannot Say' and 'False' answers? The only questions I get wrong is when I confuse these two!!
I am probably going to have another crack this year at the age of 40, after failing with a FSAC of 12.12 during band narrowing just before Easter.

I am an existing civil servant, however (although my last applicant was external as I wasn't sure about redundancies) and this year I might do internal just to compare the differences, if any.

I assume it opens on 1 September but I am not sure as I think I applied a bit later than that last year.
Does anyone know if the Northern Ireland Civil Service is included this year?
Original post by Historicity
Hi Liv.

Thanks very much for popping by, very kind of you.

I was just wondering about your comment that a lot of people come from their final year of uni straight into it. I was wondering if you thought there was a certain age that you tend to see a cut off at?

Is it uncommon to see freshly started 25/26/27/28 year olds? I'd love to do it, but naturally don't want to feel a bit out of place if most people are 21/22.

Did you buy books/ or go anywhere specifically ot practice for the tests?

I know this question wasn't addressed to me but I wanted to chime in: As another who applied last year and got in (start next month!), I'm 33 and been out of uni for a few years, so us older folk do exist! I'm in the HR stream and although I've only met the rest of my cohort once I would say a fair proportion of us have post-uni work experience rather than coming in straight from uni.

I didn't buy any books - but it did take 4 tries to get in. I just took in my feedback each year, and got one stage further each time! I used the practice tests and practice e-tray. They are super-useful!
(edited 7 years ago)
Current GSR summer intern here!
I'm also hoping to apply for fast stream in September after my experience in DFE (hello if anyone recognises me!). I could really see myself doing it as a graduate job.
Also nervous about the application process but good luck to everyone applying!
Hi all! I'll be applying to the Science and Engineering stream as I'm finishing my PhD next year. Haven't tried any kind of tests yet, sounds like I'm a little behind the times...! Anybody know of anyone from last year who got onto the Science and Engineering stream?
i'm starting year 12, and ultimately the civil service fast stream (ideally diplomatic) is my goal! as prospective fast streamers can you offer any advice on what i should be doing to strengthen my application when the time comes? i'm doing geography, sociology and philosophy degrees, and want to do a geography and international relations degree- does this sound good/suitable? thanks!
Original post by eviebrizzle
i'm starting year 12, and ultimately the civil service fast stream (ideally diplomatic) is my goal! as prospective fast streamers can you offer any advice on what i should be doing to strengthen my application when the time comes? i'm doing geography, sociology and philosophy degrees, and want to do a geography and international relations degree- does this sound good/suitable? thanks!

First things first you have to get through the tests regardless of degree, but I'd say if you're aiming for diplomatic it would be extremely beneficial to have a second language, particularly a difficult one like Russian or Arabic.
Original post by whyamianadult
First things first you have to get through the tests regardless of degree, but I'd say if you're aiming for diplomatic it would be extremely beneficial to have a second language, particularly a difficult one like Russian or Arabic.

ah okay, would that have to be an a-level or is it acceptable to acquire language skills from elsewhere???
ah okay, would that have to be an a-level or is it acceptable to acquire language skills from elsewhere???

No not at all, elsewhere is fine! If you can achieve a fluency, or at least working fluency, that would make you a great candidate for diplomacy.
Reply 57

Original post by whyamianadult
No not at all, elsewhere is fine! If you can achieve a fluency, or at least working fluency, that would make you a great candidate for diplomacy.

Having a language (or an IR degree or whatever) will not enhance your application at all. They make the decision solely on the basis of your performance in the assessments.

Obviously it would make it a bit easier to actually do your job if you got in. But even then, chances are you won't be placed in an embassy whose language you already happen to speak more than once or twice. They will pay you full time to learn the language of your next destination if you don't already know it. There's a big misconception that you have to speak another language to get into the FCO.
Hi everyone!

This will be my second year applying for the Fast Stream. Last year was a half hearted, see how it goes application and as a result failed all but the HR tests. I got impatient and withdrew. But now I've graduated and working a terrible job it's going to get all my attention.

My heart is set on the generalist schemes - Diplomatic and Central Departments.

Maths and Situational Judgement is my biggest killer. Anyone have any books they can recommend? The ones specified for the Civil Service on Amazon have really really bad reviews.

Good luck everyone - not long now.
Reply 59
Yeah I am scared for the 4 tests, but mostly the competency test and the situational judgement tests lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending