Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on purchasing a keyboard. What brand or models would anyone recommend?
    I've seen some but they all have different number of keys, what would be ideal for me?
    Another question has anyone self-taught, how difficult would you say it was?

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Buy a casio, and it's easy fam you just play by ear, if it sounds good then it is good
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by A321)
    I'm planning on purchasing a keyboard. What brand or models would anyone recommend?
    I've seen some but they all have different number of keys, what would be ideal for me?
    Another question has anyone self-taught, how difficult would you say it was?

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm more of an advocate for learning on a piano rather than a keyboard, but if you're short on space I'd recommend going for a digital piano, or a keyboard with weighted keys as this is more like a real piano and you get a better amount of resistance when you're pressing the keys. 88 keys is piano size, and probably ideal. For a new learner, you'd probably be fine with less, but if you're wanting to invest in something and play more classical pieces, I'd recommend 88. It really depends what you're wanting to learn and what your end goal is, and also your budget and space allowance.

I took lessons for years but now play for pleasure. Because I started when I was really young, it's hard to imagine teaching myself, but I would say it's doable if you have extremely high motivation and discipline. It certainly is helpful to have lessons to go to to keep yourself motivated and make sure that you practice for a good amount every week as it's easy to take too many breaks when you're teaching yourself. I'm sure you'd easily find another student who plays who would be willing to teach you the basics and keep you motivated at a lower cost than a piano teacher. Progress can sometimes be slow and it can be helpful to get an explanation from a real person when you get stuck. It's also very rewarding and hard work definitely pays off.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.