Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nottingham Nursing Course Structure watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know what is the course structure of nursing at Notts. The website only outlines the modules, but I wanted to know how many placements you do in each year and how long is each placement. Are the modules assessed by exams or essays or a mix of both. Are you enjoying being at Notts? Some people say they adore it, but I've also heard a lot of people are completely stressed out and feel unsupported.

Cheers for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandiola)
    Hi, does anyone know what is the course structure of nursing at Notts. The website only outlines the modules, but I wanted to know how many placements you do in each year and how long is each placement. Are the modules assessed by exams or essays or a mix of both. Are you enjoying being at Notts? Some people say they adore it, but I've also heard a lot of people are completely stressed out and feel unsupported.

Cheers for any help
    Hey, I am a first year nursing student at Nottingham, we have the three modules you saw on the website so there will be lectures and seminars on each one as well as two assignments from each module. You get a HUB placement and a spoke placement, you do all theory work and some assignments up till Christmas, you will also have a hand hygiene, first aid and life support exam before then. After Christmas I went on my HUB placement for 6 weeks, after this you go back to theory for a while then you go on your SPOKE placement which is a different placement to your HUB, this goes on for 4 weeks, then you have a week easter holiday and go straight back to your HUB for 8 weeks which is good because then you can see how far you have grown throughout the year, after this you have two weeks of theory then about 2 months summer if you do not have to redo work etc, bear in mind during placement you may have to do quite a few assignments at the same time which can be stressful :P however I feel like you do get quite good support from the staff on placement and the staff at university, sometimes I think it depends on what facilitator or personal tutor you get but I have always got the help I needed and good feedback on assignments and placement. After Christmas you will have a maths exam which you have to get 100% but it is quite easy, you will have a temperature, resps, pulse,manual and electronic blood pressure exam. You have two attempts to pass all practical exams and assignments. This year there has been no written exams, just the practical ones and assignments. I moved from London and I do not think I want to go back I love Notts, night life is great, everything is nearby and I have made amazing friends it is a lovely area to live in and quite cheap with housing too. If you are going to get accommodation I recommend Raleigh park I am studying adult nursing btw so I'm not sure if children/learning disability/mental health is different. Hope this helped and let me know if you need any more help.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham course structue keeps changing every few years. Not sure if it's this year or the year after but there are some up and coming changes, big changes (for the better).

- 3rd year Nottingham nursing student, course rep for two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandiola)

Cheers for any help
    As a local student and someone who will be pursuing Nursing in the future, I was
    just as interested as you were about timetables and course structure etc. I found
    the other day that UoN has updated their brochure for Nursing for the 2017 academic year and have included an example timetable for the first year of a Nursing degree. Well worth a look on their website to get a general idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BananaWhale)
    Nottingham course structue keeps changing every few years. Not sure if it's this year or the year after but there are some up and coming changes, big changes (for the better).

- 3rd year Nottingham nursing student, course rep for two years.
    Really? What sort of changes if you don't mind me asking. I'd be really interested to know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.