Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have this chain

,,,,CH3,,,,,CH3,,,,CH3,,,,CH3
    (,,,,C--------C-------C-------C,,,,,,,) n
    CH3 is bonded to C above and below and the whole lot is in brackets with a subscript of little n can any one tell me name of this structural formula is and how to draw the monomers from which its made . I know its a polymer but that's about it.I thought it was butane but bthe second string would be 2 hydrogens not three.
    Any help please

ReputationRep:
    To form a polymer, you have to break the C=C double bond, so if you change the C-C bond to a double bond (C=C), you get the molecule below. Counting the longest carbon chain gives you 4, so it's based on butane. There's a double bond between carbon atoms 2 and 3, therefore it's but-2-ene. There are 2 methyl groups on carbon atoms 2 and 3, so 2,3-dimethyl.

Putting it all together, you get 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene.

To state the name of a monomer as a polymer, you put it in brackets and add poly in front of it, therefore it is poly(2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene)

(Original post by Bulldog1965)
    Hi I have this chain

CH3 is bonded to C above and below and the whole lot is in brackets with a subscript of little n can any one tell me name of this structural formula is and how to draw the monomers from which its made . I know its a polymer but that's about it.I thought it was butane but bthe second string would be 2 hydrogens not three.
    Any help please
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    To form a polymer, you have to break the C=C double bond, so if you change the C-C bond to a double bond (C=C), you get the molecule below. Counting the longest carbon chain gives you 4, so it's based on butane. There's a double bond between carbon atoms 2 and 3, therefore it's but-2-ene. There are 2 methyl groups on carbon atoms 2 and 3, so 2,3-dimethyl.

Putting it all together, you get 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene.

To state the name of a monomer as a polymer, you put it in brackets and add poly in front of it, therefore it is poly(2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene)
    Thank you so much really needed that but how do i draw the monomer from which the polymer is made?

Also!!!! i(m tying to understand polymers lol)
    if I had

,,,,,,H,,,,,,,,,H,,,,,,,,H,,,,,,,,,H

this would be still a but-2-ane but how dows it differ and what would it be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulldog1965)
    Thank you so much really needed that but how do i draw the monomer from which the polymer is made?
    You look at the polymer, and work out which is the shortest repeat unit (i.e. the shortest possible length of the polymer chain that contains all of the groups). For this one, it's 2 carbon atoms bonded to four methyl groups. Then you just put a double bond between the two carbon atoms instead of a single bond, because the whole point of addition polymerisation is that you break the double bond.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.