Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE DON'T ASK WHY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CONDITION.

I am just wondering whether Ii will be able to apply for a benefit or financial scheme during University to aid my diabetes needs. I understand that I won't be able to finance full. healthy, everyday meals like at home however I cannot live off the usual 'pot noodle and super noodles' everyday as well as paying regularly for many packets of dextrose, biscuits and sugary drinks to aid hypos. Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuthbertamy)
    PLEASE DON'T ASK WHY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CONDITION. I am just wondering whether Ii will be able to apply for a benefit or financial scheme during University to aid my diabetes needs. I understand that I won't be able to finance full. healthy, everyday meals like at home however I cannot live off the usual 'pot noodle and super noodles' everyday as well as paying regularly for many packets of dextrose, biscuits and sugary drinks to aid hypos. Thank you x
    I don't have diabetes so I can't be sure but I think it would be best if you rang the university that you are applying to directly and possibly UCAS so find out if there is anything you can do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuthbertamy)
    PLEASE DON'T ASK WHY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CONDITION.

I am just wondering whether Ii will be able to apply for a benefit or financial scheme during University to aid my diabetes needs. I understand that I won't be able to finance full. healthy, everyday meals like at home however I cannot live off the usual 'pot noodle and super noodles' everyday as well as paying regularly for many packets of dextrose, biscuits and sugary drinks to aid hypos. Thank you x
    There is Disabled Students Allowance, but that only covers things which are specific to being a uni student. You would have that kind of food dilemma whether you were at uni or not, so DSA wouldn't give you anything for it. However, through DSA you could get things like breaks in exams to eat a snack to ensure blood sugar levels were correct, potential coursework extensions in case you ran into unexpected crises arising from your diabetes etc. It may be worth considering for those reasons.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Going to move this to disabled students forum. I think you may get better answers there.

It would be disability benefits (PIP) that would pay for the things you mention in your OP, if you're entitled.

As mentioned, disabled students allowance only pays for costs that you have as a disabled student. Not everyday disability costs

ReputationRep:
    Not got any useful advice with regards to funding, other posters have summed it up well... however, unless you're unlucky with finance you should be able to cook decent meals for a sensible budget, the majority of students don't live off plain pasta and pot noodles. Online shopping can be a good way of working out how to shop on a budget as you can pull things off/on, check how many meals you have in there and always see the running total. When I was a student I spent £20-25 a week on food and I ate proper meals with meat, vegetables, fruit and some treats. What it probably will mean is that you need to be more careful than the average student not to screw up financially as living on pot noodles for the last week of term would just not be an option for you.

My guess is that you would struggle to get funding just to pay for biscuits/dextrose as it shouldn't be a huge cost. It's definitely worth contacting your university so they're aware for the reasons other posters have said (exam concessions, coursework extensions etc), you don't need DSA to get these but they're usually arranged through the university disability service.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by doodle_333)

My guess is that you would struggle to get funding just to pay for biscuits/dextrose as it shouldn't be a huge cost. It's definitely worth contacting your university so they're aware for the reasons other posters have said (exam concessions, coursework extensions etc), you don't need DSA to get these but they're usually arranged through the university disability service.
    If you have long term health problems, you do need DSA to get exam concessions. If you need a scribe or laptop because you've broken your wrist for example, you contact the uni. But if your health problem is long term, you have to claim DSA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    If you have long term health problems, you do need DSA to get exam concessions. If you need a scribe or laptop because you've broken your wrist for example, you contact the uni. But if your health problem is long term, you have to claim DSA.
    oh okay, I had exam concessions and never got DSA, perhaps rest breaks don't count?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.