Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to do the AQA June 2014 Unit 2 question 5bi and 5bii question please, the mark scheme doesn't explain it very well.

ReputationRep:
    Could you tell me what it asks for?

ReputationRep:
    If Tetracycline binds to the Ribosomes (its effectively like inhibition but its not enzymes in this case), the Ribosomes are unable to carry out their function which is to synthesise the proteins... Proteins make up enzymes, even the enzymes that are involved in the cell wall formation which can lead to Osmotic lysis as the cell wall is not formed.

ReputationRep:
    Second question:

TTT TCA GGT ACG GAA CCA CGA

TTT TCA GGT

The next amino acid is Trp which is ACC which we can add:

TTT TCA GGT ACC- What can you see base C has been added and we have been told in the question it is a result of mutation... This basically now shifts the reading frame of the sequence:

TTT TCA ACC GGA ACC ACG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haj101)
    Second question:

TTT TCA GGT ACG GAA CCA CGA

TTT TCA GGT

The next amino acid is Trp which is ACC which we can add:

TTT TCA GGT ACC- What can you see base C has been added and we have been told in the question it is a result of mutation... This basically now shifts the reading frame of the sequence:

TTT TCA ACC GGA ACC ACG
    Thank you so much, this has helped me so much and I now understand it!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haj101)
    If Tetracycline binds to the Ribosomes (its effectively like inhibition but its not enzymes in this case), the Ribosomes are unable to carry out their function which is to synthesise the proteins... Proteins make up enzymes, even the enzymes that are involved in the cell wall formation which can lead to Osmotic lysis as the cell wall is not formed.
    Thank you!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicia_r)
    Thank you so much, this has helped me so much and I now understand it!!!!
    Youre welcome.. Im glad I helped x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.