Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My exams start next Monday and at this stage I think I am going to fail them. They are my first exams at university and, although I have been told repeatedly by my tutors that I only need 40% and not to worry, I genuinely think that this may be impossible. I usually get around 65-70% but for the last week or so my mental health has been getting worse quite quickly. I felt great for a short while but over the last few days my sleep pattern has become totally messed up, I haven't been eating, I can't concentrate...

I'm posting about it here because I just need to say it to someone. My friends at university have basically told me to get over it and stop talking to them about it; my friends at home have already finished their exams and I don't want to bother them with this kind of thing while they're celebrating. My parents get angry at me because they think I want them to fix it for me when all I actually want is for them to listen. They also warned me against talking to my doctor about how I'm feeling and I think they're probably right- I don't want to tell him that I haven't been eating only for him to contact the university and for me to be prevented from doing my exams.

I have worked so so so hard over the last nine eight months and I just feel angry at myself, it's like I actually want all that work to come to nothing. I see all the people who haven't been working all year studying day and night and I can't bring myself to concentrate for fifteen minutes. And then all that frustration with myself manifests in panic attacks which, like everything else, I am having to deal with alone.

ReputationRep:
    You have to believe in yourself. Sounds generic but if you adopt a negative mindset you won't get anywhere because your brain is a computer, whatever it is told it will carry out. A bit like when you can't remeber a name of an artist and then later on when you can remeber the name of it but it's not needed then and you wonder why your brain has come up with that, its because you gave your brain an instruction. Thinking negative thoughts will ruin you and your grade, think positive it will help you and your grade will be just fine. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Heya, that sounds really hard work, you're doing amazing to keep going with all this. If you go to a doctor and tell them not to talk to your Uni they aren't actually allowed to unless they think your going to die or kill someone.

But lets look at the exams to start with. It sounds like you're gonna do pretty well if you calm down a little bit. I had your problem during exams so i know what you're on about. I think the best thing to start with would be the food bit. Make yourself a reallllly simple meal eg. some of the fresh pasta from sainsburrys as it only takes 2 mins to cook and is easy to eat and small portions are what you get with it but its filling once you've finished and just sit with it and eat it. don't worry about how long it takes, read a book at the same time if you want but make sure you finish it, even if it takes 2 hrs to do you'll feel so much better

Another thing you can try for the sleep pattern is go to bed at a set time and get up at a set time. If you cant sleep just lay there and think of your favourite films and books and make up awesome stuff in your head but ban your mind from thinking about exams. Don't get stressed if you cant sleep and it will come It takes a bit of work but is worth it

Don't get over stressed about exams. You've done work this year which probably means you wont need as much work as other people. If 15 mins is all you can cope with, do 15 mins then read a couple pages of your fave book and do 15 more then have another break. If you do that you'll actually get a lot done

Getting 60% during the year shows that your capable of this have more faith in yourself and try to stay calm. You're doing amazingly well so give yourself a hug for that but i think you do need some help with all this. can you talk to student services about this? i'm guessing they will have someone they can point you towards as you can't be the first person that has ever felt like this.

Good Luck with everything and get well soon If you need someone to talk to or just rant at Pm me
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My exams start next Monday and at this stage I think I am going to fail them. They are my first exams at university and, although I have been told repeatedly by my tutors that I only need 40% and not to worry, I genuinely think that this may be impossible. I usually get around 65-70% but for the last week or so my mental health has been getting worse quite quickly. I felt great for a short while but over the last few days my sleep pattern has become totally messed up, I haven't been eating, I can't concentrate...

I'm posting about it here because I just need to say it to someone. My friends at university have basically told me to get over it and stop talking to them about it; my friends at home have already finished their exams and I don't want to bother them with this kind of thing while they're celebrating. My parents get angry at me because they think I want them to fix it for me when all I actually want is for them to listen. They also warned me against talking to my doctor about how I'm feeling and I think they're probably right- I don't want to tell him that I haven't been eating only for him to contact the university and for me to be prevented from doing my exams.

I have worked so so so hard over the last nine eight months and I just feel angry at myself, it's like I actually want all that work to come to nothing. I see all the people who haven't been working all year studying day and night and I can't bring myself to concentrate for fifteen minutes. And then all that frustration with myself manifests in panic attacks which, like everything else, I am having to deal with alone.
    I'll keep this short because other posters have given good advice.
    Don't be afraid to ask uni for help. There will be a student support centre and they can help you. They could organise somebody for you to talk to or even put measures in place to do with your exams (seperate room, rest breaks etc). They can also tell you about extenuating circumstances if that is something you are considering.
    You could also talk to a doctor. Again, they can give you advice and tell you who you can talk to, but they can also offer you treatments if they would help.
    I got very anxious at exam time and it meant my chest hurt and things. They gave me beta blockes to take when I had an exam to get rid of the physical symptoms of stres and help me concentrate. This may not be what you need, but it's something you can consider if you think it would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Hi, maybe try some yoga to help you sleep, for example by trying 3 part breathing lying down, this help you really concentrate on your breath and can be really relaxing, and if your mind starts to wander bring yourself to focus on your breath again with a positive word like love or peace, or a positive thought, like I can do this.
    I used to do yoga classes and this rly helped me feel calm, and even a bit sleepy, so maybe it will help you feel more relaxed too
    https://www.verywell.com/three-part-...nayama-3566762
    Also maybe set up relaxing music playlist to help you sleep

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-f...-and-tips.html
    this also has some useful tips for sleeping
    Also when you are studying if you feel anxious and have negative thoughts coming, again perhaps focus on your breath for a bit to feel calmer, and introduce positive thoughts like: these thoughts are only holding me back and I am stronger than this, and i can really do this! and if you try your best you can really do anything.
    Also maybe visualise these kind of negative thoughts floating away like clouds?

Also eating food is going to help you focus, so don't miss meals. I know how you don't rly feel like eating when you feel stressed, but when I felt like that I watched some cooking videos on youtube and a bit of masterchef to relax and feel hungry Also making food can be a pretty good distraction, maybe make some simple dishes like a bowl of cereal or museli but stashed with fruit, loads of nuts and a little bit of Nutella

Also I recommend listening to some soothing music to feel more relaxed, and some upbeat music to feel pumped and ready to revise! Also plan out your revision into small manageable chunks, so it doesn't feel so overwhelming, and since you have worked so hard throughout the year, its all there and you are pretty prepared, so pls don't feel so frustrated with yourself, be kind to yourself, allow yourself to relax and keep faith in the hard work you have done. And in yourself as well that you can do this and you will be able to concentrate and revise, as the frustration and anger will only make you feel more negative and anxious.

Also maybe make a gallery on your phone of quotes and images you find inspiring and calming, to look at when you are feeling stressed, so you can feel calmer and more positive

Also talk to your doctor too, as they can give you advice and treatments.

If you ever want to talk feel free to pm me

It's now almost "in a week"- I have my first exam on Monday morning.

Last night I had a series of panic attacks and ended up crying alone in my room for about four hours. I think, in light of how I am feeling at the moment, it would be best for me to leave my exams and resit the entire year.

Only problem is, now it's Saturday evening, and there will be no way of me contacting anybody at the university before Monday morning. I considered contacting the out of hours GP but my parents laughed and said they wouldn't be able to do anything for me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.