Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my chemistry hw there is a question which I'm confused about.

There is a substance gemeprost, i.e.

The question asks:

Draw the product when gemeprost is reacted with:
    a) acidified K2Cr2O7 under mild conditions (product distilled immediately).
    b) excess acidified K2Cr2O7 and heated under reflux.

However, both of the hydroxyl groups on the compound are secondary, so they can only be oxidised to ketones. so why does it make a difference whether the dichromate solution is in excess or not or whether the product is distilled/heated under reflux? no further oxidation can happen anyway.

shouldn't the products in both situations be the same? or am i missing something??
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)

The question asks:

However, both of the hydroxyl groups on the compound are secondary, so they can only be oxidised to ketones. so why does it make a difference whether the dichromate solution is in excess or not or whether the product is distilled/heated under reflux? no further oxidation can happen anyway.

shouldn't the products in both situations be the same? or am i missing something??
    maybe there is oxidative cleavage of the beta-diketone? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    maybe there is oxidative cleavage of the beta-diketone? :dontknow:
    idk what that even means. is that AS?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    idk what that even means. is that AS?
    Uh uh, I thought this was University level.

In that case you are correct - they are both secondary and should not oxidise further.

ReputationRep:
    Uh uh, I thought this was University level.

In that case you are correct - they are both secondary and should not oxidise further.
    lol no im 16 ok i'll put the same answer for both and try clarify it with my teacher before it's due in just in case.

ReputationRep:

The question asks:

To oxidise a secondary alcohol into a ketone you need to heat under reflux, you cant get the ketone by distillation. So it might be that (a) could be the same, and (b) is the ketone. It seems like the question is meant to catch you out so you get mixed up between the oxidation of primary and secondary alcohols, I might be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiseelg0rt)
    To oxidise a secondary alcohol into a ketone you need to heat under reflux, you cant get the ketone by distillation. So it might be that (a) could be the same, and (b) is the ketone. It seems like the question is meant to catch you out so you get mixed up between the oxidation of primary and secondary alcohols, I might be wrong though.
    so do u think in the first one nothing should happen?

ReputationRep:
    so do u think in the first one nothing should happen?
    Yes because you can only get a ketone when
    1) You have the reagent of potassium dichromate(VI) solution and dilute sulphuric acid (i.e. acidified potassium dichromate)
    2) heat under reflux

Distillation won't cause it to oxidise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiseelg0rt)
    Yes because you can only get a ketone when
    1) You have the reagent of potassium dichromate(VI) solution anddilute sulphuric acid (i.e. acidified potassium dichromate)
    2) heat under reflux

Distillation won't cause it to oxidise.
    ok so my class notes agree that you have to heat under reflux. however i don't know why.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    ok so my class notes agree that you have to heat under reflux. however i don't know why.
    Distillation is simply to separate the product of the oxidation and prevent further oxidation.

It works with both aldehydes and ketones, although as you have said there is little chance of the ketone being further oxidised.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have a clue whats going on

ReputationRep:
    Distillation is simply to separate the product of the oxidation and prevent further oxidation.

It works with both aldehydes and ketones, although as you have said there is little chance of the ketone being further oxidised.
    so won't i still get the ketone if i distill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fez_Shabbir)
    I dont have a clue whats going on
    thanks for ur helpful comment
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    so won't i still get the ketone if i distill?
    yes, ketones distill at a lower boiling temperature than the corresponding alcohol...

ReputationRep:
    yes, ketones distill at a lower boiling temperature than the corresponding alcohol...
    So will the product of part a) have the alcohols oxidised, the same as part b)?

ReputationRep:
    I learnt this in AS, are they now teaching it at GCSE ? If so i think its a great idea, AS chem was a total mind ****, since GCSE Chem is useless.

also If i got that im my AS exam i would have been pissed...
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    So will the product of part a) have the alcohols oxidised, the same as part b)?
    I would say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    I learnt this in AS, are they now teaching it at GCSE ? If so i think its a great idea, AS chem was a total mind ****, since GCSE Chem is useless.

also If i got that im my AS exam i would have been pissed...
    Um this is AS....

ReputationRep:
    Um this is AS....
    Damn, if i got that in AS, i would have skipped it. then again, i forgot all of AS, so i have no idea what to do. but i remember it being much easier than that. ocidation of alcohol wise.
    the substance has 2 O double bonds, 2 O-H bonds, one being dative; and a cycloalkanes?.( it has a
    carboxylic acid end, Alcohols and a ketone )and its ugly as hell to look at. If i saw that i would 100% have skipped that, if i saw that in A2, i would skip it, aint no body got time for that.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for ur helpful comment
    Welcome:cheers:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.