Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed when reading A* essays, the students all have a similar style throughout their essay which makes it sound of a high standard. They also use appropriate vocabulary.

I am wondering how do you learn a range of vocabulary and switch old boring words for more impressive ones. I think these would improve my writing massively but I don't know where to look for the words which are a must to use.

Anyone who's good at writing with a range of vocabulary can please advice me some ways of improving and developing in that area.

Furthermore is there a certain way you should structure your sentence, for example, complex compound sentences? If anyone has any examples of their A* or A word that would love to share and give advice would be really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daydreamer3)
    I have noticed when reading A* essays, the students all have a similar style throughout their essay which makes it sound of a high standard. They also use appropriate vocabulary.

I am wondering how do you learn a range of vocabulary and switch old boring words for more impressive ones. I think these would improve my writing massively but I don't know where to look for the words which are a must to use.

Anyone who's good at writing with a range of vocabulary can please advice me some ways of improving and developing in that area.

Furthermore is there a certain way you should structure your sentence, for example, complex compound sentences? If anyone has any examples of their A* or A word that would love to share and give advice would be really appreciated.
    There's no point, its more acquired rather than anything, not something you can simply memorise a few hours before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Some ways are:
    - flicking through a thesaurus or dictionary
    - reading a good book
    - watching a good news channel

Good Luck with everything

I have been told to read books and newspapers which should help expand your vocabulary.

ReputationRep:
    You should always try and get a range of sentence lengths and punctuation for effect - you should aim to have parenthetic asides using both dashes, commas and brackets alternating throughout. You should use more complex, compound as well as simple sentences, but only for effect or to add more detail rather than being forced into your essay. Just make sure your sentence structure is varied (i.e maybe one-word sentences)

In terms of your vocabulary, just throw in a few synonyms here and there, and have a list of a* vocabulary stored in your head.One I like to use is sullied.

There's some good vocabulary choices here http://www.world-english.org/improve_vocabulary.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1jonam16)
    There's no point, its more acquired rather than anything, not something you can simply memorise a few hours before the exam.
    I am in year 10, therefore, I do have enough time to go through this procedure of learning vocabulary and structure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PATDLOL)
    Some ways are:
    - flicking through a thesaurus or dictionary
    - reading a good book
    - watching a good news channel

Good Luck with everything
    Oh thank you, have you got any recommendations of books that would be intriguing to read as well as expanding my vocabulary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daydreamer3)
    Oh thank you, have you got any recommendations of books that would be intriguing to read as well as expanding my vocabulary?
    Here are some, I hope you like them and they help you;
    - The Book Thief
    - A Thousand Splendid Suns
    - The Kite Runner
    - Life of Pi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PATDLOL)
    Here are some, I hope you like them and they help you;
    - The Book Thief
    - A Thousand Splendid Suns
    - The Kite Runner
    - Life of Pi
    Oh wow, I have done some research on these books and I do say I think these books would be immensely intriguing to read and also expand my vocabulary.

Thank you for the help

ReputationRep:
    Bumppp!!....
    Anyone else would like to contribute their thoughts?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.