Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IBS, Hypothyroidism, Vitamin deficiencies, Depression and OCD are my main conditions. I also have ADD and Dyslexia.
    I've had a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis, seen a endocronologist, gynocologist, psychiatrist, behavioral psychiatrist, had CBT, group therapy and counseling and seen an optomitrist (for dyslexia) and osteopath (popped ribs and bruised muscle).
    I've taken/ am taking Citalopram (antidepressant), Buscopan (for IBS), Cerazette (contraceptive), Levothyroxine (thyroid replacement), Vitamin supliments, Strattera and Concerta (for ADD), Zynarete (acne) along with a couple of other things.

I also have some experience with family illness/ death including cancer and dementia. Spent a fair amount of time visiting hospitals as a kid and adult and have seen family die.

If you would like advice or are just curious, ask anything and I will try my best to answer well.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    IBS, Hypothyroidism, Vitamin deficiencies, Depression and OCD are my main conditions. I also have ADD and Dyslexia.
    I've had a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis, seen a endocronologist, gynocologist, psychiatrist, behavioral psychiatrist, had CBT, group therapy and counseling and seen an optomitrist (for dyslexia) and osteopath (popped ribs and bruised muscle).
    I've taken/ am taking Citalopram (antidepressant), Buscopan (for IBS), Cerazette (contraceptive), Levothyroxine (thyroid replacement), Vitamin supliments, Strattera and Concerta (for ADD), Zynarete (acne) along with a couple of other things.

I also have some experience with family illness/ death including cancer and dementia. Spent a fair amount of time visiting hospitals as a kid and adult and have seen family die.

If you would like advice or are just curious, ask anything and I will try my best to answer well.
    Was the optometrist to rule out irlens? I ve never seen one as I m relatively certain that overlays won't be much help to me. Also just a good one you for wanting to share your experiences

(Original post by claireestelle)
    Was the optometrist to rule out irlens? I ve never seen one as I m relatively certain that overlays won't be much help to me. Also just a good one you for wanting to share your experiences
    I actually have no idea what irlens is. It was a "behavioural optomatrist" and they helped way more than I expected. I was given coloured glasses which help a lot more than I thought and are easier than overlays. They also gave me so activities to do to train my eyes better.

Dyslexia apparently means your brain doesn't do quite the right thing with your eyes. I was told before that I had astigmatism but my eyes themselves are actually fine. My brain doesn't link the images from both of my eyes quite right so there's a bit of blur. He got me to use old 3D glasses to show me that my eyes didn't work together properly. You're meant to see a brown-ish colour but I saw red and blue seperately. The issues I have with reading are apparently partialy due to "pattern glare" which means bright background (like white paper) or high contrast make my vision blury and gives me a headache. Coloured overlay/ glasses make the contrast less harsh and really improves it.

He made me do some rather silly activities but they actually helped a lot and I would seriously suggest giving it a go. I don't use my glasses all that often anymore since i'm not reading much, but the knowledge it gave me has really helped me limit the strain I put on my eyse and work out how to best help myself rather than just push through.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I actually have no idea what irlens is. It was a "behavioural optomatrist" and they helped way more than I expected. I was given coloured glasses which help a lot more than I thought and are easier than overlays. They also gave me so activities to do to train my eyes better.

Dyslexia apparently means your brain doesn't do quite the right thing with your eyes. I was told before that I had astigmatism but my eyes themselves are actually fine. My brain doesn't link the images from both of my eyes quite right so there's a bit of blur. He got me to use old 3D glasses to show me that my eyes didn't work together properly. You're meant to see a brown-ish colour but I saw red and blue seperately. The issues I have with reading are apparently partialy due to "pattern glare" which means bright background (like white paper) or high contrast make my vision blury and gives me a headache. Coloured overlay/ glasses make the contrast less harsh and really improves it.

He made me do some rather silly activities but they actually helped a lot and I would seriously suggest giving it a go. I don't use my glasses all that often anymore since i'm not reading much, but the knowledge it gave me has really helped me limit the strain I put on my eyse and work out how to best help myself rather than just push through.
    Irlens is like visual disturbances when you read. I ve astigmatism and dyslexia together but from what short tests I ve done with colour overlays nothing works unfortunately as it seems I see letters "normally" I m just decoding words and phenomes incredibly slowly. If anything seeing something on coloured paper is more distracting to me. It's interesting to hear of how different dyslexia effects different people

ReputationRep:

How old are you and when we're all of the conditions you have diagnosed?

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    How old are you and when we're all of the conditions you have diagnosed?
    All of them between the ages of 17 and 20. I am 20 now.

MH ones at 17 during A level exam season after a lot of loss of family and friends. I had them for about 2 years gradually worsening but only saw a doctor at that point because I just thought it was beeing a teenager mostly. After getting diagnosed I was pretty much pu straight on ADs (by my choice) since it was at such a bad point I wanted help quickly and didn't think I'd respond well to therapy at first. Came off after about two years when I was stable again and had been for a few months.

IBS at 20 after becoming sexually active and experiencing pain. Was tested for gynocological issues first (inc surgery to see if I had endometriosis) and after all of that came up clear the focus shifted to my gut.

Hypothyroidism was a bit of a process. I saw an endocronologist about it at 19ish (along with vitamin D and iron deficiencies), but it took a year of blood tests and visits to get a diagnosis and treatment. Vitamin D and Iron were diagnosed and treated earlier in that time.

ADD and Dyslexia only after starting uni. Obviously I still had them as a kid, but it wasn't too obvious and didn't really affect my learning until college an uni. When I was younger I managed to find ways aroung reading and stuff and still got good grades (top set for most things too). There was a time in juniour school people thought I had some issues but they kinda gave up on trying to work out what.
    Tried a couplpe of drugs for the ADD but they didn't go well (probably mixed badly with my citalopram) and saw a behavioural optomatrist for the dyslexia which helped.

I saw an osteopath at around 17 after injuring my back in yr9 in a skiiing accident. For the years inbetween I was in pain even lifting a water jug, but didn't realise it was anything wrong or that cold be fixed. To start with the doc said it was a bruised muscle and gave me a months worth of painkillers. I was too stupid to go back when that didn't fix it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.