Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really puzzled as to what I shall study at A-Level, I am sure that I would like to do Maths but apart from that there is nothing that I am definite about.

I enjoy Chemistry, English Literature , Psychology and I have considered Further Maths. How shall I decide? There is no specific career that I am striving for as of now. Shall I just wait until I receive my results? Please help!

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbangholowitz)
    I am really puzzled as to what I shall study at A-Level, I am sure that I would like to do Maths but apart from that there is nothing that I am definite about.

I enjoy Chemistry, English Literature , Psychology and I have considered Further Maths. How shall I decide? There is no specific career that I am striving for as of now. Shall I just wait until I receive my results? Please help!

Many thanks
    I was in the same situation as you, I have no idea what i want to do as a career but i decided on the options which i enjoyed the most and those which you will get the best grades in.

Dont worry if you think a subject will be harder at A-level as you get more time to study the subject than at GCSE.

Hope i helped .

ReputationRep:
    DOOOOOOONT' DO MATHS.
    Chem is the hardest science, I guess with the new changes to GCSE and A-level its easier, since when i went from GCSE to A-level, GCSE chem was useless and wrong, and A-level chem was a mind ****
    English lit is a pretty hard humanities.
    Psychology is easy enough, but has a massive book to revise .
    pick subjects you like . If you want to go into sciences to do BIO , since its easy as hell + Chem, since theyre really usefull for most science degrees.otherwise Any A-level, wil get you into uni, so pick ones you like, so theyre easy. instead of it being a choir and hard work to revise and work on that subject youll be interested and willing to learn t .

Also **** maths, dont do it. And for teh love of gowd dont do further.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to the above poster. Maths is one of the most versatile and compatible A-Levels you can take.
    Even if you end up applying for something like Law, Maths looks good on your application.

No matter what path you intend of going down. I would highly recommend at least Maths. If you want to study something mathematical at university (i.e maths, engineering, computer science etc) I would also highly recommend Further Maths.

Though again, I stress; it's important you pick subjects you enjoy.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obnox)
    I was in the same situation as you, I have no idea what i want to do as a career but i decided on the options which i enjoyed the most and those which you will get the best grades in.

Dont worry if you think a subject will be harder at A-level as you get more time to study the subject than at GCSE.

Hope i helped .
    Thank you for the help! I feel a bit better because you're right, I am worried about how difficult it's going to be. I am just going to keep thinking and wait for my results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbangholowitz)
    Thank you for the help! I feel a bit better because you're right, I am worried about how difficult it's going to be. I am just going to keep thinking and wait for my results.
    No worries . Dont worry about how difficult it will be, if you enjoy the subject and work hard, you can succeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    Don't listen to the above poster. Maths is one the most versatile and compatible A-Levels you can take.
    Even if you end up applying for something like Law, Maths looks good on your application.

No matter what path you intend of going down. I would highly recommend at least Maths. If you want to study something mathematical at university (i.e maths, engineering, computer science etc) I would also highly recommend Further Maths.

Though again, I stress; it's important you pick subjects you enjoy.

Good luck
    Thank you for the response. I would say that Maths is the only subject I definitely want to study because of the reasons you mentioned. I also very much enjoy it too! Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    I was the exact same. I started studying Law, Politics, Physics and Maths. Changed to Physics, Maths, Further maths and Religion.
    Then changed to English Lit, Maths and Religion.

I had no idea what I wanted to be or what I wanted to do at all! Now I am doing a Level 3 Extended BTEC in Construction (I'm a girl!) with AS Maths.

Its a hard decision but I am sure you will get a chance to change within the first few weeks if you don't like what you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea what I wanted to do and changed from French, Spanish, German and Music to Biology, Chemistry, Geography and French!! Whatever you decide to do, for the love of God, please please please please, DO NOT underestimate the difficulty of A Levels. I am not a crying kind of person and A Levels have reduced me to tears more times than there are episodes of Friends!
    My advice: Wait until results day and follow your heart
    Good luck!!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.