The Student Room Group

What was your jump from a levels to uni like?

Scroll to see replies

I didn't really feel bad. But then again, on my first ever free in sixth form, I decided to do the homework I was set (all my friends had lessons) and I never looked back :moon:
Original post by cherryred90s
So then how would you know anything about a psychology degree?

Umm I know people doing psy degrees, I've read psychology textbooks, course descriptions and outlines
A relief because I wasn't forced to waste time in pointless lessons when i could be revising or self studying. . A levels are the hardest thing I've ever done academically, however I haven't studied the same things as you so this is just my experience
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
Umm I know people doing psy degrees, I've read psychology textbooks, course descriptions and outlines

Course descriptions and outlines differ between uni's though so since you've no personal experience of a psych degree, you can't really tell anybody what to expect. Just sayin'
Course descriptions and outlines differ between uni's though so since you've no personal experience of a psych degree, you can't really tell anybody what to expect. Just sayin'

I was talking about stats though?
I did Bio, Chem and maths a levels (physics as) and just about the finish my degree in medicinal chemistry. I hated a levels, felt there was too much emphasis on memorising stuff rather than understanding the theory behind it (although my a levels were almost 10 years ago). Uni has been great, all my lectures are recorded if I want to rewatch them, lecture notes online. Your usually given a handout that may or may not have blanks to fill in and you can add your own notes, means you can focus on really listening to what the lecturer is saying. Exams are easier as there is usually a choice of questions (so it will say answer 3 of the 5 questions from each section). Also results are normalised, I once had an exams I had done loads of prep for, it went so badly I felt like crying afterwards but everyone else must have done much worse as I still ended up with a high 70 despite missing questions out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial maths was more like a continuation from STEP which is above A-level maths/further maths. But the jump wasn't too big as those exams are designed to see how effectively people will bridge the gap :yep:
Original post by Rchilton
I did Bio, Chem and maths a levels (physics as) and just about the finish my degree in medicinal chemistry. I hated a levels, felt there was too much emphasis on memorising stuff rather than understanding the theory behind it (although my a levels were almost 10 years ago). Uni has been great, all my lectures are recorded if I want to rewatch them, lecture notes online. Your usually given a handout that may or may not have blanks to fill in and you can add your own notes, means you can focus on really listening to what the lecturer is saying. Exams are easier as there is usually a choice of questions (so it will say answer 3 of the 5 questions from each section). Also results are normalised, I once had an exams I had done loads of prep for, it went so badly I felt like crying afterwards but everyone else must have done much worse as I still ended up with a high 70 despite missing questions out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow your uni sounds really organised, like they have their **** together lol. Recorded lectures and handouts to fill in would be amazing. What uni do you go to if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Zarek
Uni easier. More continual assessment and coursework assessment which suits my learning style. Exams, because they are set by the lecturers rather than a third party are more predictable. I did a science degree. Workload at times was heavy but never overwhelming. Undoubtedly A level was my toughest academic experience.

Original post by eden3
I've almost finished my 1st year of uni and I've found it to be considerably easier than A-levels were.

Entirely different to the experience I had/am having. I guess it depends on the course and institution? I worked out the amount of work/course content we had in first year in econ and was pretty much the equivalent of 4 full a levels - and I mean FULL A levels, so AS and A2.

Breaks down that we covered from scratch to beyond A level for Econ, did stats which was equivalent of S1-S4, learnt STATA, had a module applying stats to economics, Maths went significantly beyond further maths but in terms of content covered it works out that we did more than all the core/further pure by quite a way. That all works out as 3/4 of first year and then the last quarter is electives, which are similarly sized, so yeah, would say this year was equivalent to doing Maths, further maths, economics and history (because of my electives) AS + A level in one year.

Big difference is you don't have anywhere near the contact time you get at school, so you can get away with working less, but you'll get a nasty surprise at the end of the year if you do :tongue:
I was talking about stats though?

You also said you read a bunch of psychology textbooks and course descriptions too which implies that you know enough about it to advise someone who actually does the degree. That comes off as a bit cocky and he would probably agree tbh
You also said you read a bunch of psychology textbooks and course descriptions too which implies that you know enough about it to advise someone who actually does the degree. That comes off as a bit cocky and he would probably agree tbh

I was only talking about stats. Statistics isn't native to psychology, did you know that? I've actually done statistcs in my degree and most stats modules in undergrads are very similar in terms of topics taught. I really don't know what's your problem, if you've been offended or what.

Why the hate and over sensitivity? I agree with @Ras' Al Ghul and what he's said so far. Psychology and subjects like geography are not actual sciences..its a joke to believe they are. His point was regarding stats- the bridge between A level S1, S2 and uni isn't that great often parts of the modules covered in A level are not done at degree level (although this is subjective) as it may not be relevant for the degree course plan.

Source: Best friend studying Psychology at Bath.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Indeterminate
Imperial maths was more like a continuation from STEP which is above A-level maths/further maths. But the jump wasn't too big as those exams are designed to see how effectively people will bridge the gap :yep:

But STEP is really hard lol. You're saying that despite learning much more difficult content, the exams were a lot harder than the content taught by the lecturers and tutors?
Original post by Zarek
Uni easier. More continual assessment and coursework assessment which suits my learning style. Exams, because they are set by the lecturers rather than a third party are more predictable. I did a science degree. Workload at times was heavy but never overwhelming. Undoubtedly A level was my toughest academic experience.

I'd agree.
But STEP is really hard lol. You're saying that despite learning much more difficult content, the exams were a lot harder than the content taught by the lecturers and tutors?

:confused:

What I mean to say is that STEP helped bridge the gap because it exposes you to "sophisticated" mathematics. Uni was obviously more challenging than any of that :yep:
:confused:

What I mean to say is that STEP helped bridge the gap because it exposes you to "sophisticated" mathematics. Uni was obviously more challenging than any of that :yep:

Yeah I know what you meant. I was asking a follow up question about your uni exams which you still haven't answered lol
Yeah I know what you meant. I was asking a follow up question about your uni exams which you still haven't answered lol

Oh...

More challenging but not by a huge amount :bigsmile:
Oh...

More challenging but not by a huge amount :bigsmile:

If uni exams were step quality, most people would fail because the content is so much harder and then you achieve that sort of mastery would be :eek:
Wow your uni sounds really organised, like they have their **** together lol. Recorded lectures and handouts to fill in would be amazing. What uni do you go to if you don't mind me asking?

Newcastle university. It's been perfect for me, this year I've had to miss a lot of lectures but the fact that I could just watch it online later that night had been a godsend. We have one lecturer who refuses to do handouts and makes us write notes, also he won't put his recorded lectures online as he thinks no one will turn up. Usually still half the people dont turn up and someone circulates a copy of the notes for each lecture hah.
I was only talking about stats. Statistics isn't native to psychology, did you know that? I've actually done statistcs in my degree and most stats modules in undergrads are very similar in terms of topics taught. I really don't know what's your problem, if you've been offended or what.

You belittled the degree and then made out as if you know all about it when you don't

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending