Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

Someone who is very important to me has received an unconditional offer from Dundee university (International Business MSc). Having sold her apartment to pay to have a cancer removed, she has just enough money left over to fund this MSc. The question I have is whether this degree would justify itself in terms of employment opportunities in the UK (or elsewhere in the Western world).

The nightmare scenario is that she graduates, doesn't find a job, then her cancer re-emerges and she has no money to treat it. On the other hand, if this MSc were likely to lead to a career overseas, her quality of life might improve considerably.

As I'm a humanities graduate, I can't provide her with an intelligent risk-assesment: I simply have no idea whether this MSc would be worthwhile. Any information or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laowaiphil)
    Dear all,

Someone who is very important to me has received an unconditional offer from Dundee university (International Business MSc). Having sold her apartment to pay to have a cancer removed, she has just enough money left over to fund this MSc. The question I have is whether this degree would justify itself in terms of employment opportunities in the UK (or elsewhere in the Western world).

The nightmare scenario is that she graduates, doesn't find a job, then her cancer re-emerges and she has no money to treat it. On the other hand, if this MSc were likely to lead to a career overseas, her quality of life might improve considerably.

As I'm a humanities graduate, I can't provide her with an intelligent risk-assesment: I simply have no idea whether this MSc would be worthwhile. Any information or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Very hard situation to judge, ultimately depends on her current prospects.

If she had already obtained a decent 2.1 UK (or even EU) degree then its almost definitely not worth it, but I assume this isn't the case.

You just have to judge how bad/good her current employment situation is. A masters from Dundee for an international (especially non EU) student might not lead to any strong UK opportunities, especially if looking to work in London. Visas required for non EU students generally lead to internationals returning to their country of origin to find work. Wherever that may be, it is highly unlikely that a degree from Dundee will be recognised. On the other hand, if she makes connections while in the UK this could lead to a job.

£5.5k fees vs £13k for international is a HUGE difference. If the financial situation is that bad, my advice would be to leave it a year. Is it possible to go and work (even for low salary) and gather some savings? That would lead to a less pressured decision next year.

ReputationRep:
    If money is so tight that she wouldn't be able to pay medical bills I would have thought the best option would be to work and save for a bit before committing thousands of pounds to a degree which is unlikely to have an immediate payback. Degree courses will still be there next year. Wish her good health from us here at TSR :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.