The Student Room Group

bengali manush

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nettled
I think there's a benagli soc actually.. Heading off too sleep night and good luck with exams :moon:

Thanks. I'm gonna kip at around 4AM. :frown:
Original post by Federerr
Isn't it far better then learning a whole new language? Such as french, where you can't even make up anything at all.

I'm syhleti so understanding dhakayi is a mission but I understand a bit here and there.

Well I'm mixed race, so it is more or less a whole new language for me. I knew about 20 words of Bangla before I decided to start learning it properly, and unfortunately I have no fluent speakers to practice with any more since my dadu died. Plus he wasn't even Sylheti, I think his native dialect was part Bangla part Bihari.
Original post by Copperknickers
Well I'm mixed race, so it is more or less a whole new language for me. I knew about 20 words of Bangla before I decided to start learning it properly, and unfortunately I have no fluent speakers to practice with any more since my dadu died. Plus he wasn't even Sylheti, I think his native dialect was part Bangla part Bihari.

Rahh. I'm so intrigued. Tell me about your family lineage. I love hearing about mixed race Bengali families. Although it hate the fact but it's odd to see a non bangla to bangla marriage.
Rahh. I'm so intrigued. Tell me about your family lineage. I love hearing about mixed race Bengali families. Although i hate the fact but it's odd to see a non bangla to bangla marriage.

I'm mixed Bengali and Irish. My grandad arrived in London in the 1950s as did my granny, but most jobs and housing adverts said 'no blacks, no irish, no dogs'. So the Irish people and the South Asians often found themselves living in the same areas (this was before Tower Hamlets became a major Bengali community, and besides my grandad was Hindu).

So I guess they just met at some place where the immigrants congregated, and since they were both far away from their families they didn't really feel much pressure to 'conform'. Most of my grandad's family (mostly in West Bengal now) didn't really care too much about the marriage and treated my mum quite well when she went to visit, but my grandad never went to Ireland. I think my granny told her family he was Greek or Spanish or something, to explain my mum's complexion, and obviously they didn't have much experience with these things, so they believed for a while since they hadn't seen any pictures of him.
Original post by federerr
i guess it's an easy a*.

However although you speak bangla. Tell me can you read or write it? I certainly can't and tbh it'd be pretty cool to learn how to read the tv text when my mum watches channel s news :rofl3:

easy astar are u crazy bengalis so hard but im **** scared of my mum ygm
lol thanks but i already know i flopped it i made everything up
Ami bengali maati tam pari. leckha fari naa.

bants how im using half syhleti and half dhakayi lool.

I just can't hack bangla school XD It's fully of wettys.

I'd love to do it in schoool tho but I've already done spanish. I got a good chance of an A* in sha allah.
And then there's me who's doing three languages at GCSEs. :hide:
Original post by TheOtherSide.
And then there's me who did three languages at GCSEs. :hide:

Rah. I found doing one hard as it is.

How'd you manage? If you don't mind me asking but what'd ya do and what did ya get?
Original post by TheOtherSide.
And then there's me who's doing three languages at GCSEs. :hide:

omggg how evenn im dying with double language
Rah. I found doing one hard as it is.

How'd you manage? If you don't mind me asking but what'd ya do and what did ya get?

Still doing my GCSEs. :lol: I did Bengali last year (did a lot better than I thought I would do), and I'm taking French and German this year. :yep:

I think the fact that I speak 'Dhaka' Bengali at home might have helped.
I wasn't calling ya wet lool.

I was directing it at the teachers lol, they're annoying AF XD

Rah its peak for me tho when I go to bangladesh my family think im clapped at the way I speak XD
JESUS
Four? :eek3: Which ones?

Original post by subwayislife
omggg how evenn im dying with double language

I finished GCSE Bengali last year, which is probably the only reason why I'm coping.
I do speak bangla at home lol! I know the words its just the pronunciation that catches me out lool.
:unimpressed:

Spoiler

And wow that's a lot of languages! Well done on those grades! :woo:
Im Syhleti.

I speak English with my siblings and dad. Then Bangla with my mum.

What's with all the spoilers? lol.
Nah, I'm sure you won't! :hugs:
Bengali, French and German. :yep:

Okay Bro. :mmm:

Spoiler

:cry2:

Oh, nah! I did it last year. :woo:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I got an A*. :yep:
Apple pie? Either I've got very bad memory or we did different exam boards.. Pretty sure it's the former. :sad: (I did AQA Bengali)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending