Train fares. Watch

Voi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Anyone fed up being robbed by privatised train companies? I bought a ticket from Sheffield to Edinburgh. It costs £120! The same price as return flights to Europe.

Most of the journey I stood up, then ended up siting outside the filthy stinking train toilet, having to endure people crawling over me to use it. £120, and this is good service?

No free wifi on trains too? Al European trains have free wifi, and all trains in Scotland too. But English trains, run by privatised English companies, don't have free wifi! It's an extra £8 or so!

How is this even affordable to the average person who commutes everyday to an average paying job?
KloppOClock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Voi)
Anyone fed up being robbed by privatised train companies? I bought a ticket from Sheffield to Edinburgh. It costs £120! The same price as return flights to Europe.

Most of the journey I stood up, then ended up siting outside the filthy stinking train toilet, having to endure people crawling over me to use it. £120, and this is good service?

No free wifi on trains too? Al European trains have free wifi, and all trains in Scotland too. But English trains, run by privatised English companies, don't have free wifi! It's an extra £8 or so!

How is this even affordable to the average person who commutes everyday to an average paying job?
make britain great again
Voi
Rep:
?
(Original post by KloppOClock)
make britain great again
You mean make the 1% even greater?!

How is being charged over the odds for train fares great?
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Voi)
You mean make the 1% even greater?!

How is being charged over the odds for train fares great?
its great if you're part of the 1%
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Voi)

They are expensive, but you should have just found out ways to reduce the fare, booking in advance, rail card etc.
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
They are expensive, but you should have just found out ways to reduce the fare, booking in advance, rail card etc.
i just booked a ticket from cheshire to manchester for £20 2 weeks in advance. rip off
Voi
Rep:
?
its great if you're part of the 1%
Obviously. But 99% of us aren't!

And the 1% wouldn't even dirty their shoes by using trains like the rest of us.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
i just booked a ticket from cheshire to manchester for £20 2 weeks in advance. rip off
Then walk , hike or catch the coach.
Voi
Rep:
?
Still should be half of what they are.

Actually train travel should just be free for all funded by the tax payer.
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Then walk , hike or catch the coach.
walk.... from cheshire.... to manchester....

what
username2280427
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Of course, train tickets are expensive. It's not supposed to be cheap (?) You're travelling a long distance too so expect that price.
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Voi)
Still should be half of what they are.

Actually train travel should just be free for all funded by the tax payer.
sure, but then youd have to take away public spending from other things, or increase tax. and that would just make other things worse.
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where in Cheshire? I don't even pay that at rush hour to get into Manchester.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
While you have idiots who support government privatising vital services for more expensive, poorer quality goods, this will be the way. Shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Voi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leukocyte)
Of course, train tickets are expensive. It's not supposed to be cheap (?) You're travelling a long distance too so expect that price.
Why isn't it supposed to be cheap? For the service I get, it's terrible. Lack of seats, stinking unclean toilets, abusive passengers, broken trains, ripped seats, delays and trains not even turning up, no wifi

Only worth a few pound at best...

And you can get long distance trains in Europe for fraction of cost, on cleaner, modern trains, free wifi, bigger seats, smoother rides...
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Voi)

If you cannot beat them join them! I mean it.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't so much have a problem with the privatisation, just that in many areas it's a complete monopoly.

If I want to go to Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport, Weston-Super-Mare etc. from where I live, I HAVE to get First Great Western; I have no choice in it at all and this is how they can get away with charging obscene prices.
username2280427
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Voi)
Why isn't it supposed to be cheap? For the service I get, it's terrible. Lack of seats, stinking unclean toilets, abusive passengers, broken trains, ripped seats, delays and trains not even turning up, no wifi

Only worth a few pound at best...

And you can get long distance trains in Europe for fraction of cost, on cleaner, modern trains, free wifi, bigger seats, smoother rides...
Have you bothered to report any of this or come on TSR to complain about the lack of this and that?

Few pounds, are you serious?

Lol don't lie. I've booked tickets on the Europe trains too and they aren't any better.
KloppOClock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
I don't so much have a problem with the privatisation, just that in many areas it's a complete monopoly.

If I want to go to Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Newport, Weston-Super-Mare etc. from where I live, I HAVE to get First Great Western; I have no choice in it at all and this is how they can get away with charging obscene prices.
yes but surely they are natural monopolies? i mean you wouldnt exactly want multiple water companies
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Voi)

In principal I agree with nationalisation but some privatisation has worked. I use the west coast mainline to Glasgow quite a lot and the service is very good. Transpennine and Virgin East Coast however are a bag of ****.

The only reason continental trains are better is due to govt subsidies, the private train companies here still only make 3p from every pound.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads