Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So my friend hasn't been allowed on social media for 6 months (roughly) now. In all honesty I don't really know why he got banned in the first place, but from what he has previously told me his parents have previously been abusive towards him.
    As of late he's been allowed on his laptop from the hours of 10:30pm till 1:30am however he was not allowed on social media, he is pretty good at technology and he down loaded an emulator so he could have access to android apps. All of us (his friends) are obviously very happy about this however we are slightly concerned at the same time because we feel as though this is an attempt to isolate him? And we are aware that if he gets caught speaking to us we are unlikely to hear from him for awhile.
    I'd be able to understand if it were 1 month or maybe 2 but it's been around roughly 6 months now and it's starting to feel a little unreasonable to us?

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Is there anything we can do as his friends?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you/he?

It is entirely possible his parents don't trust him with the internet and that is their prerogative. Especially given you do not know the reason they were banned.

Refusing to let a child use social media is by no means abuse. If you have general concerns of ACTUAL abuse occurring, then I would suggest you encourage your friend to speak to a teacher or helpline who could help.

(Original post by Elivercury)
    How old are you/he?

It is entirely possible his parents don't trust him with the internet and that is their prerogative. Especially given you do not know the reason they were banned.

Refusing to let a child use social media is by no means abuse. If you have general concerns of ACTUAL abuse occurring, then I would suggest you encourage your friend to speak to a teacher or helpline who could help.
    We are 17, no obviously I don't see him being banned from social media as abuse, but he has told us that abuse has taken in place in the past (reportedly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So my friend hasn't been allowed on social media for 6 months (roughly) now. In all honesty I don't really know why he got banned in the first place, but from what he has previously told me his parents have previously been abusive towards him.
    As of late he's been allowed on his laptop from the hours of 10:30pm till 1:30am however he was not allowed on social media, he is pretty good at technology and he down loaded an emulator so he could have access to android apps. All of us (his friends) are obviously very happy about this however we are slightly concerned at the same time because we feel as though this is an attempt to isolate him? And we are aware that if he gets caught speaking to us we are unlikely to hear from him for awhile.
    I'd be able to understand if it were 1 month or maybe 2 but it's been around roughly 6 months now and it's starting to feel a little unreasonable to us?

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Is there anything we can do as his friends?
    Is he or she banned from texting or making phone calls? Is it only social media or connacting people in general?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.