The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
lala
The beauty of old university towns in general is a major draw, as is the collegiate system. Neither of them are to everyone's taste but for those who like them they are frequently the major motivation for applying: as a university experience these factors offer something quite different from the norm.

This they do. However, it's a good idea not to get too sheltered from the real world or allow your head to become too big when you're inside those old, prestigious buildings and being told you must be one of the brightest students in the country (or in the case of Prince Charles, that you have a powerful family).
I toyed with the idea of NatSci for a while (Physical), but my lack of Chemistry A-level forced me to reconsider. Luckily I discovered a passion for engineering, and I've never looked back.

I like the idea of doing something which has such obvious links with real life situations and with the business world.
Reply 62
Squishy
This they do. However, it's a good idea not to get too sheltered from the real world or allow your head to become too big when you're inside those old, prestigious buildings and being told you must be one of the brightest students in the country (or in the case of Prince Charles, that you have a powerful family).

at a slight detour there but never mind... sadly they don't tell us how supposedly bright we are (actually at open days and stuff tutors stress that they are looking for the people who will get most from the teaching system rather than those with the greatest raw intelligence). Shame they don't because everyone loves an ego boost, but the reality of Oxford is a looooot different from the stereotypes. I hear the real world thing from some people but tbh I think its crap- do they think Oxford is imaginary then? The 'real world' is hardly a universal concept, there is no common human lifestyle to act as a basis to this, and the supposed dichotomy between it and Oxford life/ uni in general is exaggerated. There are many good reasons to choose not to apply to Oxford but worries about not being in the 'real world' really aren't on the list.
Reply 63
US uni's look good but they so expensive! but i really wanna go birmingham and study history (fingers crossed 4 august then!) :smile:
Reply 64
Leekey
I pretty much did what everyone on this thread seems to be doing and I picked a place with a reputation for my subject (i.e. Edin). UEA is however probably the nicest university in the country without exception. People who say they fell in love with Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc... are generally liars who are looking to justify their application on false grounds in an attempt to downplay the fact that they are chasing the prestige that an Oxbridge degree brings. I however did love UEA and if it could have offered me a course comparable to Edinburgh's then I would have taken thier very generous offer. :smile:

wow thanks for letting me know i didnt really fall in love with cambridge and i was just chasing the prestige, i was totally off the mark wasnt i?! glad i came onto this forum now as i was under a huge illusion but now the fog has lifted. :rolleyes:

anyway enough of the sarcasm, ive been to oxford, ucl, cambridge and uea...to name but a few and i can honestly say i didnt think uea was any nicer than the others. not overly horrid (except the union, a big hole in the gound basically) but not imo not the nicest ever either. me thinks someone has a chip on their shoulder.
Reply 65
Fairy Cake
US uni's look good but they so expensive! but i really wanna go birmingham and study history (fingers crossed 4 august then!) :smile:

yay another history person, history at university is great (im sure all other subjects are too though) and birmingham has a good department for it too. some good names. hope you get to go. :biggrin:
Reply 66
Masonne
wow thanks for letting me know i didnt really fall in love with cambridge and i was just chasing the prestige, i was totally off the mark wasnt i?! glad i came onto this forum now as i was under a huge illusion but now the fog has lifted. :rolleyes:

anyway enough of the sarcasm, ive been to oxford, ucl, cambridge and uea...to name but a few and i can honestly say i didnt think uea was any nicer than the others. not overly horrid (except the union, a big hole in the gound basically) but not imo not the nicest ever either. me thinks someone has a chip on their shoulder.

Key word in my post being "generally". Hopefully you have the mental capacity to understand something other than overt sarcasm (which BTW usually uses impact when you actually point it out in the next line) and you acknowledge that at no point in this thread did I say "all". My perspective stems not from a "chip-on-my-shoulder" but from moderating countless, mind numbing threads from prestige chasing morons performing exactly as I had described earlier. I would suggest that if you feel the necessity to somehow respond in the manner that you did, perhaps you are the one with a grudge of some description?!? Also, I think you are perhaps the only person I have ever heard describe UEA's student union as a "hole in the ground" which only serves to highlight the varying ideals that exist between different people and thus the unliklihood of soo many people "falling in love" with these prestigious institutions (coinsidence....I think not). :smile:
Leekey
People who say they fell in love with Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc... are generally liars who are looking to justify their application on false grounds in an attempt to downplay the fact that they are chasing the prestige that an Oxbridge degree brings.

I first went Cambridge for an open day in the summer. I stayed at Caius Harvey Court, In the afternoon and early evening I looked round loads of colleges. Just as it was getting dark I walked back to my accommodation along St John's/Trinity Street/Kings Parade. As I walked I could hear singing. It was from all the college chapels that I passed and it was beautiful. It was magical and as I was just about the only person around it felt like it was just for me. I loved the place then and I still do, long after I have left. Someone once told me that if Cambridge isn't good for your mind, at least it is good for your soul. I totally agree with that.

I think what Leeky means is people wouldn't go and see such places if they weren't interested in the degree they could get. True, but isn't that true of all unis? no matter which uni they are at, would any student be there if they thought they would get nothing out of it?

To me, where I live is an important part of my happiness and well-being. I had a friend who went to Manchester uni and he chose the most grotty, run down house to live in, in the worst area because it was cheap. He didn't care because in his opinion it was 'just a place to doss.' I personally couldn't cope with that. (Not saying all of Manchester is like that. i know it isn't. My friend set out to find the cheapest dump in the north-west on purpose.) All the top unis are much of a muchness in standards, and I applied for biology so it wasn't like I was applying for an unusual course. Plus I didn't know anything about uni study. How was I supposed to judge to standard of a course when I hadn't studied it yet? So I went on lots of open days and applied to the places I in which I felt most at home. Not at all a scientfic way of doing it but the best way i knew how at the time.
Reply 68
My mate has wanted to go to Cambridge since she was like three years old. She's one of those people who's brilliant at everything, I don't think she's ever got below an A in her life. She works so hard all the time as well, I dont think she has a life outside school. She went to the Cambridge day and hated it but she's still going to apply just because it's Cambridge. She's crazy IMO.
Reply 69
The only question I would ask of anyone claiming to have "fallen in love" with ANY university is....have you been to see many others? I've found that several people I know have come back (specifically from Cambridge but I'll generalise) and said that they MUST study there because it is simply wonderful etc... These are the people whose motivation I question becasue they appear to be using that as an excuse to chase the prestige of that degree!!! Surely if you are to love one thing, you must have a comparison to something else which you do not like as much. I think that all too many people fall for the idea of studying at a prestigious uni so much that they could be shown around almost anywhere and they would instantly claim it to be thier favorite place on this planet.
Reply 70
Leekey
The only question I would ask of anyone claiming to have "fallen in love" with ANY university is....have you been to see many others? I've found that several people I know have come back (specifically from Cambridge but I'll generalise) and said that they MUST study there because it is simply wonderful etc... These are the people whose motivation I question becasue they appear to be using that as an excuse to chase the prestige of that degree!!! Surely if you are to love one thing, you must have a comparison to something else which you do not like as much. I think that all too many people fall for the idea of studying at a prestigious uni so much that they could be shown around almost anywhere and they would instantly claim it to be thier favorite place on this planet.

Lol, I've fallen in love with almost all the unis I have visited (bar Nottingham)
Reply 71
~Sam~
I must be an exception. I've fallen in love with almost all the unis I have visited (bar Nottingham)

I'm sure you'll find one that will make you forget the rest!!! Probably based on something stupid like meeting a nice looking member of the opposite sex at a vending machine and them offering to give you a tour (or was that just me :confused: ) :biggrin:
~Sam~
My mate has wanted to go to Cambridge since she was like three years old. She's one of those people who's brilliant at everything, I don't think she's ever got below an A in her life. She works so hard all the time as well, I dont think she has a life outside school. She went to the Cambridge day and hated it but she's still going to apply just because it's Cambridge. She's crazy IMO.

Now that is quite scary! Nothing is the same in real life as you imagine when you are 3!
Reply 73
Leekey
I'm sure you'll find one that will make you forget the rest!!! Probably based on something stupid like meeting a nice looking member of the opposite sex at a vending machine and them offering to give you a tour (or was that just me :confused: ) :biggrin:

Lol. Well if I get into any one of Cardiff, Exeter or York, I'll be more than happy :smile: Fingers crossed
Reply 74
babyballerina
Now that is quite scary! Nothing is the same in real life as you imagine when you are 3!

Ok, I maybe I was exaggerating the three years old thing. But ever since I've known her (year 7) she's wanted to go there
Reply 75
I also fell in love with pretty much all of the uni's that I applied to and visited. I think this was mainly due to the general university environment. I somehow felt at home visiting the more academic of these institutions and after each open day had a new favourite uni, as the one I had just visited was still fresh in my mind.

UEA was originally just a uni to fill the 6 places and a 'last resort' when I chose to apply there. I ended up loving the place and chose to study there over all of the other more prestigious unis that I had been accepted to (Durham, Kings, etc), because I could genuinely see myself studying and living in Norwich, and having a great time, for many years. :smile:
Reply 76
Leekey

Nope, that definetly wasnt just you! After seeing about 20 unis it becomes hard to distinguish one from another and these small things play a big part.
Reply 77
Leekey
Key word in my post being "generally". Hopefully you have the mental capacity to understand something other than overt sarcasm (which BTW usually uses impact when you actually point it out in the next line) and you acknowledge that at no point in this thread did I say "all". My perspective stems not from a "chip-on-my-shoulder" but from moderating countless, mind numbing threads from prestige chasing morons performing exactly as I had described earlier. I would suggest that if you feel the necessity to somehow respond in the manner that you did, perhaps you are the one with a grudge of some description?!? Also, I think you are perhaps the only person I have ever heard describe UEA's student union as a "hole in the ground" which only serves to highlight the varying ideals that exist between different people and thus the unliklihood of soo many people "falling in love" with these prestigious institutions (coinsidence....I think not). :smile:

the point of me posting was to counter the offensive post you made. using the word generally really doesnt make much difference, it just means 'not all', so it was offensive to quite a lot of people. hence why i wrote the post, thus i dont have a grudge at all, not against UEA or any other university...and thats why i dont mindlessly slag off a whole swathe of people unnecesarily. if i had simply come up with a statement out of the blue about UEA being crap (which its not i'll just make that clear) then one could probably say i have a grudge. instead i was merely responding to what i found an unjust post in which case i think you would be hard pressed to say i have the grudge...well one could say i have a grudge against people that make such huge generalisations which offend quite a few people. i dont think you would like it if i came on here and said "generally all the people who went to UEA only go there cos they are not good enough to get into better universities". im sure you would be offended and probably want to correct them, and justifiably so.

plus i wasnt the first person to describe it as a hole in the ground, that was how my mates described it when i went up to see them. and to be fair it is not the prettiest thing in the world....bear in mind im not saying this somehow invalidates your university at all...UCL's is pretty awful too you know!

also i dont quite understand you last point, can you clarify please. (not said in a nasty way btw! :biggrin: )
Reply 78
lala
There are many good reasons to choose not to apply to Oxford but worries about not being in the 'real world' really aren't on the list.

On the contrary, a lot of people I know have applied to Oxbridge because they like the whole "feel of the past" thing that they get while they're there (or haven't applied because they don't). It's certainly not what you get in London. It doesn't apply to everyone of course, and some people want to go to modern colleges in any case.
Law at Oxford or any of the colleges within the University of London. London has a lot to offer outside of the university itself such as research (seminars etc), work, courts blah blah blah. Oxford because of it's library and I can still do most of the optional units which appeal to me compared to my number 1 choice at present. Plus it's close enough to London to visit regularly, fairly close to home too (why I'd never go to somewhere like Durham), but far enough. I have relatives in London and Oxford too.

Latest

Trending

Trending