Turn on thread page Beta

If you could pick any uni, which would it be? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    On the contrary, a lot of people I know have applied to Oxbridge because they like the whole "feel of the past" thing that they get while they're there (or haven't applied because they don't). It's certainly not what you get in London. It doesn't apply to everyone of course, and some people want to go to modern colleges in any case.
    I don't think that's the same as wanting/not wanting to be in the 'real world'. You can't isolate the present from the past (spot the historian). Though I'm sure some people might see it as an escape from the real world and like/dislike it because of that, but they'd be mistaken. Hence it wouldn't be up there as one of the good reasons to apply, or not to apply. A reason, if people weren't well informed, but not a valid one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I don't think that's the same as wanting/not wanting to be in the 'real world'. You can't isolate the present from the past (spot the historian). Though I'm sure some people might see it as an escape from the real world and like/dislike it because of that, but they'd be mistaken. Hence it wouldn't be up there as one of the good reasons to apply, or not to apply. A reason, if people weren't well informed, but not a valid one.
    Yeah, of course it's a misconception. And maybe I've been reading too many American views about old English universities, but it almost seems as if the quaintness of universities like Oxbridge and Durham are what pulls a lot of students towards them.

ReputationRep:
    i went to 3 different uni already...
    always have things about the uni...didnt like it, didnt like the course.
    i really dont know about this anymore..

(Original post by Masonne)
    the point of me posting was to counter the offensive post you made. using the word generally really doesnt make much difference, it just means 'not all', so it was offensive to quite a lot of people. hence why i wrote the post, thus i dont have a grudge at all, not against UEA or any other university...and thats why i dont mindlessly **** off a whole swathe of people unnecesarily. if i had simply come up with a statement out of the blue about UEA being crap (which its not i'll just make that clear) then one could probably say i have a grudge. instead i was merely responding to what i found an unjust post in which case i think you would be hard pressed to say i have the grudge...well one could say i have a grudge against people that make such huge generalisations which offend quite a few people. i dont think you would like it if i came on here and said "generally all the people who went to UEA only go there cos they are not good enough to get into better universities". im sure you would be offended and probably want to correct them, and justifiably so.

plus i wasnt the first person to describe it as a hole in the ground, that was how my mates described it when i went up to see them. and to be fair it is not the prettiest thing in the world....bear in mind im not saying this somehow invalidates your university at all...UCL's is pretty awful too you know!

also i dont quite understand you last point, can you clarify please. (not said in a nasty way btw! )
    To actual take offence to what I posted earlier you would have to actually be one of the people doing what I described earlier. If you are comfortable with your motives for applying to a given university then I can't see how you would take offence. :confused:

I didn't disagee with your point regarding UEA. You might have expected me to but I appreciate the diversity of opinion and this I just said that I had not experieced this view very much.

In my last point I was trying to point out that when people say they have fallen in love with a uni, the uni is usually a prestigious one. I was saying that I found it hard to believe that there is no correlation between falling in love with the uni and its prestige in the majority of cases.

(Original post by Gnostic's Back)
    ooooo, let me think, if I could choose any university and any course therein...mmmmm..., ah I know! Philosophy, Logic, and Scientific Method @ the LSE. And by jove that's exactly where I'll be going soon!
    I am glad to see your dream being realised sir!!!

ReputationRep:
    Again I chose UEA over Birmingham, Leeds and Loughborough because, excluding Birmingham, I loved the other 2 places however UEA was where it felt 'right' and I could see myself really enjoying it there - it wasn't too big or small and everything was on one campus, the city was nice and safe (not big like Leeds or teeny like Loughborough) and just generally I felt that it was the place for me. I don't care that the course I'm doing isn't exactly highly rated, or that the uni isn't prestigious. Looking back on my year there, I do wish I hadn't done a chemistry course now as its very hard, I wish I'd chosen environmental science or something, but i'm gonna try and mix in some env options this year, but thats a whole other story!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    To actual take offence to what I posted earlier you would have to actually be one of the people doing what I described earlier. If you are comfortable with your motives for applying to a given university then I can't see how you would take offence. :confused:
    what an odd idea. im afraid i dont agree with you at all witht his point.....for example if i said something along the lines of generally muslims are all terrorists (not my view btw!! want to make that clear ) then i think its fair to say i would expect even muslims who arent terrorists to get a bit miffed. or would you not think thye had grounds to be offended? you said generally the people that said they fell in love with oxbridge are liars....well i fell in love with cambridge, so naturally im going to come back at anyone that makes such a huge generalisation that its practically meaningless.

I didn't disagee with your point regarding UEA. You might have expected me to but I appreciate the diversity of opinion and this I just said that I had not experieced this view very much.
    i didnt expect that at all.

In my last point I was trying to point out that when people say they have fallen in love with a uni, the uni is usually a prestigious one. I was saying that I found it hard to believe that there is no correlation between falling in love with the uni and its prestige in the majority of cases.
    people fall in love with all types of unis, some prestigious, some not! you seem to imply only prestigous unis get people saying they have fallen in love with them wheras people choose 'less prestigous' ones for 'truer' more noble reasons. i just find this smacks of reverse snobbery which i have uncovered in far too many places unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree about the taking offence point- tbh I found it a bit off as well, and certainly it was based on assumption. Its very rash to suggest that generally people who apply to Oxbridge do it primarily for prestige and then pretend their motives were different: the use of the word generally implies most and I'd be wary of that, and the suggestion also was that most of us then lie about our reasons for applying, which isn't a very nice thing to say. I'm sure you didn't intend to cause offence but you seem to have done a little.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics @ MIT.

(Original post by lala)
    I don't agree about the taking offence point- tbh I found it a bit off as well, and certainly it was based on assumption. Its very rash to suggest that generally people who apply to Oxbridge do it primarily for prestige and then pretend their motives were different: the use of the word generally implies most and I'd be wary of that, and the suggestion also was that most of us then lie about our reasons for applying, which isn't a very nice thing to say. I'm sure you didn't intend to cause offence but you seem to have done a little.
    In my dictionary "generally" implies in that I was reffering to the none exceptional cases (which I did later acknowledge). I certainly did not intend offence and I hope that most people understood the context in which the comment was made.

what an odd idea. im afraid i dont agree with you at all witht his point.....for example if i said something along the lines of generally muslims are all terrorists (not my view btw!! want to make that clear ) then i think its fair to say i would expect even muslims who arent terrorists to get a bit miffed. or would you not think thye had grounds to be offended? you said generally the people that said they fell in love with oxbridge are liars....well i fell in love with cambridge, so naturally im going to come back at anyone that makes such a huge generalisation that its practically meaningless.

See above. I would also however point out that should some one actually agree with the point I made and also be in love with Cam then they would appreciate the idea more (hence the 3 +'ve doses of rep I recieved for my explaination, 2 of which came from future Cam students). Although in hindsight it was something of a generalisation.

i didnt expect that at all.

I failed to see why the place was involved in your next post but maybe that was just me.

people fall in love with all types of unis, some prestigious, some not! you seem to imply only prestigous unis get people saying they have fallen in love with them wheras people choose 'less prestigous' ones for 'truer' more noble reasons. i just find this smacks of reverse snobbery which i have uncovered in far too many places unfortunately.
    If you look through my argument I have never once suggested that prestigious unis cannot invoke a genuine love from someone. I merely suggest that given the higher number of people claiming to love prestigious unis when compared with other unis, surely the prestige factor does play a huge part for some. Surely you appreciate that some applicant to these places are primarily concearned with prestige?!? :confused: You seem to be taking what I'm suggesting quite personally and I don't intend that at all. My argument is born of the frustration I have towards people thinking only of prestige and trying to suggest that thier motivation is as pure as others such as yourself (I assume at least).

ReputationRep:
    Political Science at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.

ReputationRep:
    See above. I would also however point out that should some one actually agree with the point I made and also be in love with Cam then they would appreciate the idea more (hence the 3 +'ve doses of rep I recieved for my explaination, 2 of which came from future Cam students). Although in hindsight it was something of a generalisation.

If you look through my argument I have never once suggested that prestigious unis cannot invoke a genuine love from someone.
    i never said you did suggest prestigious universities cannot evoke a genuine love from someone... i was simply offended by your comment. i dont think i was being overly sensitive by it either as my muslim comment should demonstrate quite clearly how generalisations are offensive and not merely to those it is directed at.

I merely suggest that given the higher number of people claiming to love prestigious unis when compared with other unis, surely the prestige factor does play a huge part for some.
    i dont have any figures so i couldnt really comment.

My argument is born of the frustration I have towards people thinking only of prestige and trying to suggest that thier motivation is as pure as others such as yourself (I assume at least).
    but thats also my point, why is thinking of prestige 'unpure'. its just reverse snobbery and appears to be an avenue to attack rather than an actual conclusions based on any evidence or studies.

people just seem so intimately concerned with putting down those students who do go to prestigious universities. it is as bad as having a go at someone for going to a 'less prestigious' university.

anyways maybe i am taking this all a bit too far for which i apologise. im sure you didnt mean any offence, my gripe was that you suggested i would be going to cambridge this october to find that the majority of people i would befriend would be lying, soleless, prestige seekers, which i seriously hope is not the case. i'm already stressing about going wihtout having to worry about how other people perceive me and if i will get on with anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    Political Science at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
    ooo yeah good one, ive heard the course is fantastic! i looked at that one actually. wish i had the funds

ibut thats also my point, why is thinking of prestige 'unpure'. its just reverse snobbery and appears to be an avenue to attack rather than an actual conclusions based on any evidence or studies.
    You misunderstood what I meant by unpure. I was not implying that prestige was not a good reason, I was trying to suggest that if that is what they are looking for then people should say that, as opposed to coming up with seemingly random declarations of love for the place. Its not the act of prestige seeking that I find unpure, it is the attemp to cover it up by claiming it is based on love for the place.

ReputationRep:
    You misunderstood what I meant by unpure. I was not implying that prestige was not a good reason, I was trying to suggest that if that is what they are looking for then people should say that, as opposed to coming up with seemingly random declarations of love for the place. Its not the act of prestige seeking that I find unpure, it is the attemp to cover it up by claiming it is based on love for the place.
    ahh i see. apologies.
    well even then i wouldnt like to comment. i wouldnt know how many people do indeed do that and it would be quite hard to estimate. people can convince themselves of anything, and the way people justify and structure their arguments for choosing a university can be extremely complex.

ReputationRep:
    music at cambridge...even though im not doing a music course

ReputationRep:
    in teh 12th year i would have said downing college Cambridge for languages after a fatastic summer school type thing down there. Then, for some bizarre reason i then appleid for oxford instead and got rejected. However, now i think that being rejected was the best thing that ever happened to me. I think the preassure of oxbridge would have been too much for me and I love my curent uni and now wouldn't change for the world.

ReputationRep:
    Cam, for PhD.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.