Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, I'm hoping to begin work on an apprenticeship with a Law Firm in London in September.

I was looking for some help on where to live. Coming from Northern Ireland and the countryside the idea of living there is slightly daunting.

My main priority is safety, to be brief. I want somewhere where I can walk home at night time without any problems, etc.

I'm willing to sacrifice the size of my flat/studio in order to have the above.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Where in London is the law firm?

ReputationRep:
    There are nicer and less nice areas in every part of town, so my advice would be to start with where the firm is based and try to stay within an hour's commute. Travel times here can be ridiculous, and it's such a waste of life spending 1.5-2 hours on the train each way if you can avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim Kennedy)
    Essentially, I'm hoping to begin work on an apprenticeship with a Law Firm in London in September.

I was looking for some help on where to live. Coming from Northern Ireland and the countryside the idea of living there is slightly daunting.

My main priority is safety, to be brief. I want somewhere where I can walk home at night time without any problems, etc.

I'm willing to sacrifice the size of my flat/studio in order to have the above.

Thanks.
    What's your monthly budget on rent?

ReputationRep:
    The best places to live in London is Kensington.

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'walk home' do you actually mean that - or do you mean 'safe to walk home once I've got off public transport'?

ReputationRep:
    Hackney, without a doubt. Cheap, SAFE and Diverse. There are people from every background in Hackney, it's colorful and very alive.

ReputationRep:
    As a young professional living in London? You'll want Zone 2 for the commute.

Isle of Dogs (for CW, Bank & Liverpool St.), Clapham Junction (for anywhere), Swiss Cottage (for anywhere), Highbury & Islington (for anywhere), Canada Water (anywhere), or Elephant & Castle (it's really not that bad anymore).

Cheap areas for young people with non-dodgy streets... of course once you've been earning for a few years you can move into 'nicer' locations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.