Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Basically, I have a job interview in a couple of days for a job I really want after graduation. My issues, however, are:

1. I am away on holiday for 10 days from the day after the interview so cannot be contacted regarding my application status.

2. I have a 6-week long placement that I have already planned to do (and arranged) until the end of July, and therefore am unable to start working until August.

I am very worried they might reject me because I cannot start till August which is over 1 month away!

If I specify I can start in August would that work at all?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just reject the 6 week placement if you get the job? Even if it's really good it's not going to be worth losing the permanent job that you really want.

They should be ok with the holiday although it's worth contacting them or asking in the interview to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    I mean it really depends on what the company is looking for. You may find they want you to start next week, in which case they may not be receptive. On the other hand they may not want you for a month or two anyway and this is a moot point. Or you might not even get the job.

I'd go to the interview, give it your absolute all and then if they offer you the job you can bring up that you are unable to start until August. At that point they've decided they want you and are more likely to be willing to wait. Likewise they might appreciate that you are not wanting to break an existing commitment.

I'd absolutely not mention it before they offer you a job as it'll only be giving yourself an uphill battle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Just reject the 6 week placement if you get the job? Even if it's really good it's not going to be worth losing the permanent job that you really want.

They should be ok with the holiday although it's worth contacting them or asking in the interview to be safe.
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I guess I could cancel the placement but it is important for my future career as it is a research lab placement and these can be quite hard to get. I may not mention it at the interview for now just to see if I am successful at all. If they accept me then maybe I will say that I cannot start till August?

(Original post by Elivercury)
    I mean it really depends on what the company is looking for. You may find they want you to start next week, in which case they may not be receptive. On the other hand they may not want you for a month or two anyway and this is a moot point. Or you might not even get the job.

I'd go to the interview, give it your absolute all and then if they offer you the job you can bring up that you are unable to start until August. At that point they've decided they want you and are more likely to be willing to wait. Likewise they might appreciate that you are not wanting to break an existing commitment.

I'd absolutely not mention it before they offer you a job as it'll only be giving yourself an uphill battle.
    Hi. Thank tou for your reply. Hmm, I see what you mean. I might go for this method, actually. I will have to mention the holiday as it is the day after the interview so I won't be around for about 10 days. But yes, I may keep quiet about the placement until they make a decision.

What if they ask when I can start? I got asked this at my last summer job interview and I had to start after another two weeks and they were fine. Would that be ok to mention my placement then if I am asked about start date at the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mj1dan2014)
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I guess I could cancel the placement but it is important for my future career as it is a research lab placement and these can be quite hard to get. I may not mention it at the interview for now just to see if I am successful at all. If they accept me then maybe I will say that I cannot start till August?

Hi. Thank tou for your reply. Hmm, I see what you mean. I might go for this method, actually. I will have to mention the holiday as it is the day after the interview so I won't be around for about 10 days. But yes, I may keep quiet about the placement until they make a decision.

What if they ask when I can start? I got asked this at my last summer job interview and I had to start after another two weeks and they were fine. Would that be ok to mention my placement then if I am asked about start date at the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they are asking when you can start then this will typically be after they have decided they are interested in you. I'd definitely tell them an August start works best for you as you've a prior commitment to a research placement.

Will you have access to phone/email while on holiday? If so then I wouldn't really bother informing them of it, you can still get back to them. Unless you maybe want to state a preference for email or something. You obviously don't want to spend your whole holiday checking your phone, but once a day in the morning or evening wouldn't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    If they are asking when you can start then this will typically be after they have decided they are interested in you. I'd definitely tell them an August start works best for you as you've a prior commitment to a research placement.

Will you have access to phone/email while on holiday? If so then I wouldn't really bother informing them of it, you can still get back to them. Unless you maybe want to state a preference for email or something. You obviously don't want to spend your whole holiday checking your phone, but once a day in the morning or evening wouldn't hurt.
    Ok. I will mention the placement if they ask for the start date. As for access on holiday, I don't know if I will have internet access. We won't be stopping in hotels or anything as we are travelling in a campervan but I may get access at some points. I'll just tell them that I prefer email as contact in this case. Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mj1dan2014)
    Maybe, but having a permanent job is going to much more important to your career than a 6 week placement. From the company's point of view you're giving another organisation preference, and what's to stop that organisation offering you a job after the placement and you taking it? In which case the company has lost 6 weeks of having an employee and has to search for another one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.