Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There's a popular theory that the anti-EU types are inwards looking xenophobic isolationists whereas the pro-EU types are outwards looking progressives. I dispute this theory as my experience is that pro-EU types are blinkered and struggle to look beyond Europe into the wider world. They just think about European things and show much less interest in non-European things.

It's interesting how many anti-EU types I have met who think that non-European languages should be more widely taught in schools but pro-EU types just want European languages to be taught.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. The pro-Europe side seem content to continue to be a bunch of Little Europeans cowering behind Europe's proverbial walls and afraid of opening up to the outside world.

Yet the "xenophobic" brexiters are the ones trying to encourage trade with the commonwealth instead, closer ties to countries like India and a fairer immigration system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaipeiGhost)
    I agree. The pro-Europe side seem content to continue to be a bunch of Little Europeans cowering behind Europe's proverbial walls and afraid of opening up to the outside world.

Yet the "xenophobic" brexiters are the ones trying to encourage trade with the commonwealth instead, closer ties to countries like India and a fairer immigration system.
    That's my impression also.

ReputationRep:
    What I dont get is that the 'Remain Brigade' seem to think they are on the left wing, when they appear to me to be about as right wing as you can get.

I read an article a few days ago, in the Wall street journal stating that the one company with the most to lose if we brexit is the evil octopus goldman sachs.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/who-lose...chs-1460403274

And Corbyn has voted against the EU for 40 years continuosly, but has obviously been nobbled by the Thatcherite new labour lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rover73)
    And Corbyn has voted against the EU for 40 years continuosly, but has obviously been nobbled by the Thatcherite new labour lot.
    Read this about Jeremy Corbyn

http://campaignforanindependentbrita...eu-referendum/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    There's a popular theory that the anti-EU types are inwards looking xenophobic isolationists whereas the pro-EU types are outwards looking progressives. I dispute this theory as my experience is that pro-EU types are blinkered and struggle to look beyond Europe into the wider world. They just think about European things and show much less interest in non-European things.

It's interesting how many anti-EU types I have met who think that non-European languages should be more widely taught in schools but pro-EU types just want European languages to be taught.
    I'm pro-Eu and I don't think this is true. I learn a lot of European languages thats true but I'm bilingual and the second language I speak is an Asian language.

ReputationRep:
    Read this about Jeremy Corbyn

http://campaignforanindependentbrita...eu-referendum/
    Ha! Brilliant. I voted for him, because he seemed a principled man....

ReputationRep:

I think they do not want to "rock" the boat

ReputationRep:

It is good to see you forming sweeping statements based on the views of a handful of people. You should work in tabloid journalism or cosmetic marketting. "78% of women agree (out of 65)" and all that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.