Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spot Reduction: Evidence Based `Review` Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hello everyone,

Looking at youtube revealed that the concept of spot reduction is still active. The link above displays many videos about spot reduction and many of these videos offer support for this concept!

What is spot reduction?
    `Spot reduction` is the belief that you can target fat loss with area specific exercises, for example sit ups for abdominal fat.

Some of the videos state that spot reduction is not possible, but only base this on opinions and not research, Tom from Strength Ministry goes one step further by driving into the literature about spot reduction and explains the physiology behind this fallacy.

Hopefully, this will clear up the myth that you can target fat with area specific exercises for many of you that may not know.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by $hadow)
    Hello everyone,

Looking at youtube revealed that the concept of spot reduction is still active. The link above displays many videos about spot reduction and many of these videos offer support for this concept!

What is spot reduction?
    `Spot reduction` is the belief that you can target fat loss with area specific exercises, for example sit ups for abdominal fat.

Some of the videos state that spot reduction is not possible, but only base this on opinions and not research, Tom from Strength Ministry goes one step further by driving into the literature about spot reduction and explains the physiology behind this fallacy.

Hopefully, this will clear up the myth that you can target fat with area specific exercises for many of you that may not know.

Enjoy!

This is quite cool actaully, so does this mean like you said that doing sit ups regularly will reduce stomach fat?
    I've been told by sooo many people that this doesn't actually work, but maybe they were wrong!

Thank you for sharing the video!! it's cleared up alot of misunderstandings for me!!!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    also, on a slight tangent, but are there any spot reduction exercises to reduce thigh/leg fat?!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    This is quite cool actaully, so does this mean like you said that doing sit ups regularly will reduce stomach fat?
    I've been told by sooo many people that this doesn't actually work, but maybe they were wrong!

Thank you for sharing the video!! it's cleared up alot of misunderstandings for me!!!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    also, on a slight tangent, but are there any spot reduction exercises to reduce thigh/leg fat?!
    You can't spot reduce fat, I haven't watched the video but I hope that's the point it makes

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.