Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi what i understand is how both firms lose out during tacit collusion one firm undercuts the other leading to the other firm undercutting, their total revenue is at its lowest.
    My problem is how to explain why a supermarket is not willing to cut prices and how to explain it in a 2by 2 matrix. I understand it will lose its monopsony power, ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    A better way for me to phrase this question is the possible ways a 2by 2 game matrix can be shown in different scenarios, thanks :s

ReputationRep:
    Not sure that you can use a game theory matrix, since the idea behind them (at least for AQA) is that the first firm to lower their prices gains a larger market share thus more profit and if the other firm lowered prices both firms would be worse off.

ReputationRep:
    You can use it to demonstrate the consequences of lowering prices which as you said, was decreased revenue. You could also say that it could possibly start a price war leading to further decreased revenue as each firm tries to undercut the others. Also you can say how managers could be on performance-based pay schemes so if they start making less revenue then it'll result in them getting a pay cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFartFace)
    You can use it to demonstrate the consequences of lowering prices which as you said, was decreased revenue. You could also say that it could possibly start a price war leading to further decreased revenue as each firm tries to undercut the others. Also you can say how managers could be on performance-based pay schemes so if they start making less revenue then it'll result in them getting a pay cut.
    Nice response

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.