Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am trying to help my son with igcse revision and have just taught myself the cosine rule (this particular example was finding unknown angle when three sides given) but I have a very basic question still bugging me if anyone could help confirm please;
    When labelling the sides a,b,c am I right in thinking that the side opposite the angle becomes 'c' because it's opposite cosx and then the a and b can be labelled either way? If not, how do I know which to label a, b and c please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimfire)
    Hi

I am trying to help my son with igcse revision and have just taught myself the cosine rule (this particular example was finding unknown angle when three sides given) but I have a very basic question still bugging me if anyone could help confirm please;
    When labelling the sides a,b,c am I right in thinking that the side opposite the angle becomes 'c' because it's opposite cosx and then the a and b can be labelled either way? If not, how do I know which to label a, b and c please?
    All sides are a b c correct? so opposite side a you would have angle A same with b and c.

http://prntscr.com/bcwc20

Like in that pic

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I'm getting really muddled. I understand what you've said about the triangle illustrated. This is why i am stuck (bear in mind I did this 26 years ago and had to resit my GCSE to get a C so I'm not the best!). The triangle we are trying to solve is PQR so effectively the P, Q and R of a, b and c. That's okay, I can use these letters but it's not like a b and c stand for any particular side but I've read that you have to order the sides in the formula correctly??

I have actually solved the triangle and got the correct answer but want to be able to tell my son how to label sides in the exam 😊

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm just being really dense because maybe it makes no difference which I label a b or c because the formula works out the same as you are just squaring each length and adding then subtracting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimfire)
    Thank you. I'm getting really muddled. I understand what you've said about the triangle illustrated. This is why i am stuck (bear in mind I did this 26 years ago and had to resit my GCSE to get a C so I'm not the best!). The triangle we are trying to solve is PQR so effectively the P, Q and R of a, b and c. That's okay, I can use these letters but it's not like a b and c stand for any particular side but I've read that you have to order the sides in the formula correctly??

I have actually solved the triangle and got the correct answer but want to be able to tell my son how to label sides in the exam 😊
    You can assign the letters at random (such as P being the side a, Q being the side b and R being the side c), however the angle opposite to the side of the triangle labelled 'a' must be the angle A, the angle opposite the side 'b' must be the angle B and the angle opposite the side 'c' must be the angle C. As long as each side is given a separate letter (in lower case) and you follow that rule, you should be fine. I've attached an image to use as a reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drinktheoceans)
    You can assign the letters at random (such as P being the side a, Q being the side b and R being the side c), however the angle opposite to the side of the triangle labelled 'a' must be the angle A, the angle opposite the side 'b' must be the angle B and the angle opposite the side 'c' must be the angle C. As long as each side is given a separate letter (in lower case) and you follow that rule, you should be fine. I've attached an image to use as a reference.

Thank you. I know it's simple and I'm being ridiculous. I think I can use your example to work this out now. My non maths brain gets thrown by little things like different letters as logic just eludes me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.