The Student Room Group

English Language AQA: Language Varieties - HELP

I went through all the revision/textbook my teacher has given us and have created a table of all the theorists for each section: age,gender,occupation etc

I haven't actually found many theorists and at the most 7 for each section (apart from gender) is that enough? People who are taking the exam how many theorists have/ are going to learn?
Anyone? :frown:
I have a lot for language and gender but only 2 so far for language and power (lakoff and grice but if you have anymore please let me know!!) and I have 5 theorists for accent and dialect
Original post by Mollynoble
I have a lot for language and gender but only 2 so far for language and power (lakoff and grice but if you have anymore please let me know!!) and I have 5 theorists for accent and dialect

For Region I've got Trudgill, Giles, Watson and Rosewarne
Are you doing gender, age, region, social classes and occupation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fourleafclover1
For Region I've got Trudgill, Giles, Watson and Rosewarne
Are you doing gender, age, region, social classes and occupation?

I'm not doing age I'm only doing gender, accent and dialect, social class and occupation
Original post by Mollynoble
I'm not doing age I'm only doing gender, accent and dialect, social class and occupation

Oh right, how are you revising?
Do either of you have any notes on theorists I could use? I haven't got very many :frown:
Original post by fourleafclover1
Oh right, how are you revising?

I have done mind maps and I'm trying to memorise them by copying it out, and also flash cards have helped! How about you?
Reply 8
Is it true that the question 1 will only be about occupation or gender?
Original post by harry998

Yeah there is a very high chance however there is a possibility of the article being about gender aswell
how do you know? the specimen papers include, region, gender and occupation and class isn't mentioned so that could come up as well idk how to predict stuff.

also i'm looking at what to mention to get the highest mark as possible for each topic and this is what i found for level 5 pointers.

Gender - mention heterogeneity how it's not just biological factors but social factors that affect language use for either gender (maybe context could link into it etc also mention the different explanations but people probs already know that) Hyde's gender similarities also social issues that Tannen mentions such as wage gap etc

Occupation - rule breaking such as how a person may respond to their boss with informal address to be playful and to break power roles etc idk if i worded that right (idk if pragmatics is important can someone explain??)

Class - (idk if someone can answer this that'd be great)

Region- code-switching where speakers swap from accents and dialects to suit the situation or whom they are speaking to / dialect levelling (smoothing accents)
Original post by colettet99
how do you know? the specimen papers include, region, gender and occupation and class isn't mentioned so that could come up as well idk how to predict stuff.

also i'm looking at what to mention to get the highest mark as possible for each topic and this is what i found for level 5 pointers.

Gender - mention heterogeneity how it's not just biological factors but social factors that affect language use for either gender (maybe context could link into it etc also mention the different explanations but people probs already know that) Hyde's gender similarities also social issues that Tannen mentions such as wage gap etc

Occupation - rule breaking such as how a person may respond to their boss with informal address to be playful and to break power roles etc idk if i worded that right (idk if pragmatics is important can someone explain??)

Class - (idk if someone can answer this that'd be great)

Region- code-switching where speakers swap from accents and dialects to suit the situation or whom they are speaking to / dialect levelling (smoothing accents)

also i think one of the best ways to revise for english is to read over practise answers and how examiners have analysed them if any of you have them and some of the practise answers that scored highly don't mention that many names just the ones that are relevant to whatever question that pops up so i dont think you need to memorise that much just know how to write it out???
Original post by harry998

that isn't true it could be about anything :smile:
Reply 13
For gender I have : Lakoff, Deborah Tannen, Deborah Cameron, Zimmerman and West.
Accent & Dialect: Trudgill, Giles, university of aberdeen study, giles and powesland, worcester college study.
Sexuality: Paul Baker Polari

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending