Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do chromatids twisted together or not - a or b?
    Name:  IMG_3408.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  477.9 KB
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It should be (a). Why do you think it could be (b)?

ReputationRep:
    Why do chromosomes stick together?
    because they're bromosomes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieMCR)
    I rate you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieMCR)
    The door please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ordo)
    Thanks
    its B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sciatic)
    It should be (a). Why do you think it could be (b)?
    It's B- because each chromatid is from each parent- it wouldn't make sense for both the maternal and paternal chromatid to have a mix

ReputationRep:
    B. Theyre just two seperate strands of DNA which are joined together by the thing in the middle (the centromere)

Btw good one Sciatic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayzar)
    B. Theyre just two seperate strands of DNA which are joined together by the thing in the middle (the centromere)

Btw good one Sciatic
    Nope, I've always visualised them as (a). Perhaps they are the same thing in two different angles; (a) being seen from above and (b) being seen from laterally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMMSS)
    It's B- because each chromatid is from each parent- it wouldn't make sense for both the maternal and paternal chromatid to have a mix
    (Original post by Nayzar)
    Thanks guys i understand it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sciatic)
    Nope, I've always visualised them as (a). Perhaps they are the same thing in two different angles; (a) being seen from above and (b) being seen from laterally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well true fair enough i guess u could be a but B is the general representation bc its more accurate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ordo)
    Thanks
    Since sister chromatids are identical copies of the original 'chromosome' then both a and b are correct, and it doesn't actually matter.

In reality, b is 'more correct' for A-level since the copies are attached by the centromere but remain separate.

However, sister chromatids are not drawn in different colours as they are identical.

Non-sister chromatids on homologous chromosomes are drawn in different colours as they are non-identical due to allelic variation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Why-_-Study-_-)
    The door please
    i know, it was terrible. but thats why it had to be put.... okay..... feel free to slam the door violently behind me will you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.