Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Big worry at the moment, I really dont think I'm going to hit my conditional offer grade of a C (yes, as C.. I'm terrible at Media studies) to get into my firmed university,

My firmed uni is Aston, they told me I need two Distinction grades in BTEC science and a C in my Media Studies to study Engineering and Applied Science. Im confident I will get the two Distinctions, but I think i'll get a D in my media exam. What is the likelihood that they will still offer me a place even if I get a D in my media?

I keep thinking as its an Engineering course, the media grade shouldnt really matter as much as the science grades will. And looking at the applications from last year, everyone who applied got in. I know thats not enough evidence to completely validate my argument but its just a thought.

Opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they'll care to be honest. I mean, it will have exactly zero relevance to your course.

Not that you shouldn't aim to pass it anyway, but I would just do the best you can and not worry. Worst comes to worst, you can always resit/enter clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    I doubt they'll care to be honest. I mean, it will have exactly zero relevance to your course.

Not that you shouldn't aim to pass it anyway, but I would just do the best you can and not worry. Worst comes to worst, you can always resit/enter clearing.
    Ah ok, thank you for the reassurance. Its been a huge worry for me in the past few days. Probably because I havent done as much revision as I should have
    Like you say i'll try to pass it anyways, 50% of my grade is already worth an A due to coursework so in theory I've only got to aim for a D to hopefully get a C.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CptConnor)
    Ah ok, thank you for the reassurance. Its been a huge worry for me in the past few days. Probably because I havent done as much revision as I should have
    Like you say i'll try to pass it anyways, 50% of my grade is already worth an A due to coursework so in theory I've only got to aim for a D to hopefully get a C.

Thanks again!
    So, if you already have at least 80% in half of your A-level, what percentage do you need in the exam to achieve a C, ie 60% overall?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Big worry at the moment, I really dont think I'm going to hit my conditional offer grade of a C (yes, as C.. I'm terrible at Media studies) to get into my firmed university,

My firmed uni is Aston, they told me I need two Distinction grades in BTEC science and a C in my Media Studies to study Engineering and Applied Science. Im confident I will get the two Distinctions, but I think i'll get a D in my media exam. What is the likelihood that they will still offer me a place even if I get a D in my media?

I keep thinking as its an Engineering course, the media grade shouldnt really matter as much as the science grades will. And looking at the applications from last year, everyone who applied got in. I know thats not enough evidence to completely validate my argument but its just a thought.

Opinions on this?
    Average grades of students on that course are CCC

With DD at BTEC you'll be in a strong position if you slip in Media. There's no guarantee though (so make sure you've checked if you need to apply for accommodation or anything similar for your insurance choice).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    So, if you already have at least 80% in half of your A-level, what percentage do you need in the exam to achieve a C, ie 60% overall?
    Im not too sure, all I know is that 50% of my a-level so far is at an A because of my coursework, so its just the exam I have to complete.

(Original post by PQ)
    Average grades of students on that course are CCC

With DD at BTEC you'll be in a strong position if you slip in Media. There's no guarantee though (so make sure you've checked if you need to apply for accommodation or anything similar for your insurance choice).
    Ah, I understand. A bit more relief for me Yeah I wont get my hopes up just in case, I'll apply for accommodation for my insurance asap.

ReputationRep:
    Im not too sure, all I know is that 50% of my a-level so far is at an A because of my coursework, so its just the exam I have to complete.
    It's a simple calculation.

ReputationRep:
    If you have completed 50% of the course at A standard (80%?), then you currently have 40% completion on the course (50%*80%).

Therefore if you need 60%, you need an additional 20% from your remaining 50%, so you need 20%/50% = 40% in your exam, which is an E. So this should be easily achievable.

Not to be a ****, but you may wish to brush up your Maths if you plan to study engineering/science.

ReputationRep:
    If you have completed 50% of the course at A standard (80%?), then you currently have 40% completion on the course (50%*80%).

Therefore if you need 60%, you need an additional 20% from your remaining 50%, so you need 20%/50% = 40% in your exam, which is an E. So this should be easily achievable.

Not to be a ****, but you may wish to brush up your Maths if you plan to study engineering/science.
    Ah, I understand now.

Yeah I was planning on going over a few things before I went

ReputationRep:

Ah, I understand now.

Yeah I was planning on going over a few things before I went
    That's exactly the point I was trying to make... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Most unis I've looked at.. They've been accepting students with upto 3 grades lower... But idk depends on the department!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.