Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should Euthanasia be legalised? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thought that I should start something up on this, since a Bill has just been introduced to legalise some aspects of Euthanasia.
    What do you think? Are you for or against legalising it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Hey, thought that I should start something up on this, since a Bill has just been introduced to legalise some aspects of Euthanasia.
    The taking of human life without clear neccesity is normally defined as murder.

ReputationRep:
    What are your views as a Muslim?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know..as a muslim you should be against taking life (just like Catholics), but if the individual is clearly in agonising pain, shouldn't they have a right to take their own life? It would obviously mean that the individual must consent to it - thus taking your own life would just be a matter of suicide. And suicide has been legalised.

ReputationRep:
    The very fact that this is now up for discussion shows yet another flaw in the western liberalism, which preaches personal freedom. So the society creates the illusion that under Freedom man is free to do what he likes, as long as he does not infringe another's freedom. So in the case of suicide, a person is only taking thier own life which doesnt infringe on anyone else's freedom, sounds quiet legal to me.

But hang on, the concept of freedom is absolutely useless since in reality society actually dictates how people should live thier lives. Its the society which can make suicide a norm or make it absurd. Imagine if suicide became norm, kids as young as 10 would commit suicide under the pretext of personal freedom for a stupid reason as being hurt by parents not buying them the latest games console. Every teenager goes thru a stage where they think everyone just hates them, imagine if suicide became legal, it would save NHS a lot of money since there wont be much ppl to spend the funds on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntelliBug)
    The very fact that this is now up for discussion shows yet another flaw in the western liberalism, which preaches personal freedom. So the society creates the illusion that under Freedom man is free to do what he likes, as long as he does not infringe another's freedom. So in the case of suicide, a person is only taking thier own life which doesnt infringe on anyone else's freedom, sounds quiet legal to me.

But hang on, the concept of freedom is absolutely useless since in reality society actually dictates how people should live thier lives. Its the society which can make suicide a norm or make it absurd. Imagine if suicide became norm, kids as young as 10 would commit suicide under the pretext of personal freedom for a stupid reason as being hurt by parents not buying them the latest games console. Every teenager goes thru a stage where they think everyone just hates them, imagine if suicide became legal, it would save NHS a lot of money since there wont be much ppl to spend the funds on.
    The thread is about Euthanasia, not suicide, they are quite differnt concepts.

At the moment we a have 'do not resusciatate (sp?)' whch in itself is a watered down concept of Euthanasia, the benefits of euthanasia are clear in that it can help people avoid the pain and humilation of a slow terminal decline. The problems with it are the possibilty of abuses to the system - Doctors reccomending it to patients who may feel that they do not want to be a burden, people not being the right state of mind to make the decision and inequalities in what people see as insufferable pain - however I believe that with careful and considered legislation it would be possible to create a system that could work ethically and function as we hope, reducing the need for people to go through unecessary pain and suffering.

ReputationRep:
    And suicide has been legalised.
    I don't think it has in Britain yet??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    I don't think it has in Britain yet??
    No it hasn't. Not yet anyway. Its been legalised in Europe, in quite a few countries, like Holland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    The thread is about Euthanasia, not suicide, they are quite differnt concepts.

At the moment we a have 'do not resusciatate (sp?)' whch in itself is a watered down concept of Euthanasia, the benefits of euthanasia are clear in that it can help people avoid the pain and humilation of a slow terminal decline. The problems with it are the possibilty of abuses to the system - Doctors reccomending it to patients who may feel that they do not want to be a burden, people not being the right state of mind to make the decision and inequalities in what people see as insufferable pain - however I believe that with careful and considered legislation it would be possible to create a system that could work ethically and function as we hope, reducing the need for people to go through unecessary pain and suffering.
    Euthanasia is politically correct term for suicide, another capiltalist manufactured. Euthanasia may relieve people of severe unbareable pain, and suicide may do the same but pain may not be as physical rather mental, depression etc.

Both in the end achieve the same result, to relieve one from pain or misery of this life. SO the issue is taking of one's life.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Euthanasia is politically correct term for suicide, another capiltalist manufactured. Euthanasia may relieve people of severe unbareable pain, and suicide may do the same but pain may not be as physical rather mental, depression etc.

Both in the end achieve the same result, to relieve one from pain or misery of this life. SO the issue is taking of one's life.
    Yes but suicide is unassisted, euthanasia refers specifically to assisted suicide.

ReputationRep:

Euthanasia
    - The putting to death, by painless method, of a terminally-ill or severely debilitated person through the omission (intentionally withholding a life-saving medical procedure, also known as "passive euthanasia") or commission of an act ("active euthanasia').

Suicide
    - the act of killing yourself

ReputationRep:
    Thats cool..I recognise the difference between the two. But both of them involve the individual making the decision to terminate thier life.

So the question is do people have the right to decide termination of thier lifespan? is it not?

ReputationRep:
    "The patient was obviously fatally ill. Had it not been against my religion I would have practised euthanasia; instead I murdered her. "- Joe Orton: Loot

Suicide- even assisted suicide- is different from euthanasia. Suicide depends on a decision and a decisive and determined act- even if it is only moving a fingertip- by the person concerned. It can solve a lot of problems, but there are difficulties: is someone with severe depression entitled to kill themselves because their illness is unbearable and incurable, or is the desire to kill themselves a symptom of the illness?
    Eithanasia is the deliberate killing of someone by someone else, because the killer thinks that the victim is not worth keeping alive, for whatever reason. Euthanasia requires an act by another person, even if the person who dies wants to die and asks for help in dying. Negative euthanasia [Thou shalt not kill, but needst not strive/Officiously to keep alive.] is practised in British hospitals: patients who are in a "persistent vegetative state" are left to die of hunger and thirst- the belief is that with such severe brain damage they do not suffer pain. Obviously, we don't know if this is true. The carers do not have the guilt of actually doing something to kill. A friend who worked in a hospital for severely mentally handicapped children once had regular overtime when a child with anencephaly- no brain- was brought in. Her job was to be with the qualified nurse on night duty in that ward, just to make sure the nurse did not help the baby die more quickly. There is a psychological and moral difference, I think, between positive and negative euthanasia- both for the actor and for the society that allows or orders it and we should think carefully about it.
    Someone mentioned Steven Hawking on a similar thread elsewhere. There was the Irish writer Christy Brown too. Both were born with their disabilities, but there is a French book, Le Scaphanor et le Papillon, written by a man who was paralysed except for his left eyelid after a stroke- a condition many of us would think unbearable, but which he survived and found that there were still things worth living for- even if it was pure curiosity about his condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    The taking of human life without clear neccesity is normally defined as murder.
    Only because we choose to define it thus, and what constitutes necessity is entirely subjective as well. Im undecided on this issue, though im entirely sympathetic to those whos lives consist of nothing but pain without any significant improvement in quality a prospect and seek permission to end their lives legally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    No it hasn't. Not yet anyway. Its been legalised in Europe, in quite a few countries, like Holland.
    *Looking up law notes* - It is no longer a criminal offence to commit suicide. It was abolished in the Suicide Act 1961

"The United Kingdom abolished the crimes of suicide and attempted suicide in the suicide act of 1961." Taken from http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/en...u/suicide.html

However, as the law stands if there is a deliberate infliction of death it may be regarded as manslaughter/murder.
    Euthanasia is not permitted in the UK as of yet. Holland have legalised it (AS mentioned) and some States in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Arguments against Euthanasia include:
    1. It is morally wrong to shortedn life
    2. The validity of the patient's consent
    3. Undue pressure from relatives/friends
    4. Fear of abuse if the person cannot make that decision, will others make it for him

ReputationRep:
    *Looking up law notes* - It is no longer a criminal offence to commit suicide. It was abolished in the Suicide Act 1961

"The United Kingdom abolished the crimes of suicide and attempted suicide in the suicide act of 1961." Taken from http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/en...u/suicide.html

However, as the law stands if there is a deliberate infliction of death it may be regarded as manslaughter/murder.
    Euthanasia is not permitted in the UK as of yet. Holland have legalised it (AS mentioned) and some States in the US.
    lol of course it cant be a punishable act, I mean who will they punish?? the person who has committed suicide? Even attempted suicide would require the authorities to send the individual to a mental hospital... cant exactly do him for manslaughter.

ReputationRep:
    4. Fear of abuse if the person cannot make that decision, will others make it for him
    In light of these, I believe it depends on the viewpoint one adopts on life and matter. In western liberalism this is completly open to debate, and no definitive verdict can be reached under the remid of personal freedom and self-interest. However in a religious sense, where an individual would believe that secret of life is not thier property and no human have any right over it except the creator (supereme being/God)... this would close the debate.

So we can see the stark contrast here between two viewpoints.

ReputationRep:
    Could you put arguments for euthanasia?

I would say yes to it in principle. It needs to be carefully monitored, and yes nothing's perfect I know.

Passive euthanasia is legal since 1993 - Bland. This involves the switching off of life support machines when they V is in a PVS. People like Mrs Preddy (Preddy v DPP) cannot have euthanasia even though she had MND.

ReputationRep:
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.