Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Leaves me like the monument. Unredeemed by originality of phrase or sentiment. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully we'll get some more opinions later to compare..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Leaves me like the monument. Unredeemed by originality of phrase or sentiment. Sorry
    I have never come across a poet that can be said to have originality of phrase or sentiment! Their poetic expressions will always have been used by someone else.

The poignancy lies in their experiences - and no one's experiences are unique!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I have never come across a poet that can be said to have originality of phrase or sentiment! Their poetic expressions will always have been used by someone else.

The poignancy lies in their experiences - and no one's experiences are unique!
    "What oft was thought but ne'er so well expressed." -a good poem leaves you thinking- like Huxley when he read Darwin- "How very stupid not to think of that myself". or "I've often thought that but never realised it". I'm afraid i don't find either Pearse's sentiments or their expression well-enough put to move me.

Polthegael: Do you know the name of the fellow who made that remark? I have visions of him having a long and illustrious career in practical criticism: waiting for Peguy in 1914, a quick trip to the Aegean to deal with Rupert Brooke, over to Dublin, just failing to get Robert Graves but disposing of Alan Seeger, Raymond Asquith and Wilfred Owen. Over to the USA and creeping after Hart Crane on Brooklyn Bridge and finally shooting anyone that moved in the Spanish Civil War and burying bad poets under the blitzed ruins of London in WWII, before a long and happy retirement thinking of their unwritten works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    It's strange how one can be moved by this particular poem and another not.

Is it because you don't admire the author's politics or you just don't admire his prose, regardless of who he is?

ReputationRep:
    I think Euthanasia should be legalised, but only with written documentation by the person, or a close family member consensus. If someone specifically requests to have the machine kept on, we have no right to turn it off, really. I wouldnt be able to anyway.

Holy crap though, America need to legalise suicide. It is a fundamental right of people to kill oneself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I think Euthanasia should be legalised, but only with written documentation by the person, or a close family member consensus. If someone specifically requests to have the machine kept on, we have no right to turn it off, really. I wouldnt be able to anyway.

Holy crap though, America need to legalise suicide. It is a fundamental right of people to kill oneself.
    A person or family member can already request 'do not resuscitate' and medical practioners can hasten death by administration of opiates for the treatment of pain. The primary purpose of the administration must however be to relieve pain.

The two biggest faults with this move, and the detail in the Bill are:-

1. A person can be killed (euthanised) by 'nelect' i.e. the withholding of any medical treatment or provision of food or drink. The person can slowly die through dehydration and starvation.

2. An 'independent advocate' can be appointed by the government to decide whether a person who is deemed mentally incapable to make any decisions about their treatment can be euthanised regardless of any wishes of family members!

Read the detail and see exactly what is proposed rather than just making assumptions on what will happen.

It's a 'slippery' slope! :mad:

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.