Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to be doing a masters in Edinburgh from September and I'm using websites like easyroomate.com to find a room in a flat.

As I'm coming from Berlin, I don't know what areas of Edinburgh students usually live in. I've heard 'Morningside', 'near the meadows' and 'Newington'. Any other suggestions?

Here's a narrowed down list (within 25 mins bike ride of the university) of areas thrown up by easyroomate.com. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me which of these areas are too residential/boring/nasty/far/expensive to warrant attention!

Thank you in advance for any help

Balbirnie
    Blackhall
    Chapel
    Cluny
    Craiglockhart
    Craigmillar
    Duddingston
    Edinburgh Centre
    Fairmilehead
    Gilmerton
    Gorgie
    Kaimes
    Leith
    Leslie
    Liberton
    Morningside
    New Inn
    Newington
    Niddrie
    Stenhouse

ReputationRep:
    I'm not from Edinburgh but like anywhere it is part just personal preference and part money.

You could be in a well off area and get targetted, you could be in a poor rough area and never have any problems and a nice property at a fraction of the price you would of paid.

Edinburgh is crazy expensive to live.

I stayed for a while in student accomodation and it was quite snooty hence also mentioning preference, they automatically saw working class areas as bad, and anything but luxury accomodation as "rough"

So again personal preference.

So can't tell you about actual areas but bear this all in mind.

ReputationRep:
    As a local I'd advise you stay. Away from Niddrie , gilmerton and Craigmillar, even parts of Leith are nasty. The nearer the uni the more expensive it is. Morningside and Newington are more upper class areas so will be as or more expensive than the city centre. Duddingstone is next to Niddrie etc but more middle class and on bus route so will be fine. Hope this helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.