The Student Room Group

How to know which university course is right for you?

I am an a level student in the lower sixth studying biology, english literature, psychology and history. This year I am only doing an AS in biology because I
I'm dropping it (thats what my school has decided to do) so I haven't really focused on my other subjects and now am very lost as in which I should study at uni. I have found english quite boring this year so I'm considering law but don't know if I'm a suitable candidate. Offers are also very high and now I won't have any actual AS grades. I am wondering if people genuinely have a passion for the subject they study or are just willing to endure it?
Original post by txa98
I am an a level student in the lower sixth studying biology, english literature, psychology and history. This year I am only doing an AS in biology because I
I'm dropping it (thats what my school has decided to do) so I haven't really focused on my other subjects and now am very lost as in which I should study at uni. I have found english quite boring this year so I'm considering law but don't know if I'm a suitable candidate. Offers are also very high and now I won't have any actual AS grades. I am wondering if people genuinely have a passion for the subject they study or are just willing to endure it?

It's coming up to peak open day season - now is a great time to start looking around and visiting universities near you (and further away) to get a better insight into what's on offer and whether it interests you.

3 years is a long time to study something you're "just willing to endure" - that's generally a very bad idea and can lead to either dropping out at worst or under-performing at best.

Is there anything outside your studies that gets you excited? Any particular topic that you really love?

The joy of degrees is that there's a huge amount of diversity in what's available from something very general (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/basc or similar) to something very specific (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/war-studies-ba.aspx ) - it's just a case of finding out what gets you going.

It's worth speaking to your teachers this year to ask about how your predicted grades will be decided for your A levels - if you've been slacking off because of the lack of AS exams you might find your predictions are lower than you hope unless you can demonstrate that you've upped your game next year.
Work experience, work experience. Work.Experience.

I can't emphasize it enough.

Do not pick a career based on how much/little you enjoy a particular A-level. Base it on what you will enjoy doing for the next 50 years of your life. You'll only discover that with work experience - not 2 years doing A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest