The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
I agree, Green Party are decent! Just seen more like a pressure group still than a party 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a left-wing party, the Green Party are frighteningly authoritarian though.

Why can't there be a centrist or rightist party that values the environment? I feel like environmentally-focused parties are always leftist.. pretty annoying
Original post by alevelpain
Tbh the main reason I'm against Brexit is the prospect of a Boris led Tory party. He has more chance of winning than Corbyn does with Labour and I wouldn't want to live in England under Boris rule for 5 years

Me neither I'd want to migrate

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree, Green Party are decent! Just seen more like a pressure group still than a party 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

True true, all my love to the greens. I shouldn't be mocking them anyway, considering that I'm open to the idea of a Lib Dem revival. :yep:
Original post by popcornjpg
Is it that much of a surprise tho? What notable thing has Corbyn done since becoming leader beside attracting members to the Labour Party (which doesn't attract voters from the Tories)?

I personally think he's a great MP, bad leader. Labour seems to have a hard on for weak leaders...

Chuka or Dan Jarvis would be better imo
what makes you think Boris would win? hilariously enough, michael gove has the most positive polling as a potential new leader.

Boris is one of the 'big beasts' whose opinion poll is greater than the Tories. Him or Gove, still bad leaders. Osbourne is ugh and May is bleh. I wish Chuka Umunna was the Labour leader would totally get behind him
Me neither I'd want to migrate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is he that right wing lol?
Original post by xxvine

Boris is so buffoon would you want him leading this country
what makes you think Boris would win? hilariously enough, michael gove has the most positive polling as a potential new leader.

Spoiler

Original post by xxvine

No it's not that I just can't take him seriously! He seemed a bit of a joke when he was mayor, if people were to vote for him they'd do it for a joke...and he's part of that gang osbourne and Cameron were in so they'd all be secretly working together

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UKStudent17

Spoiler

😂 he hasn't got much left

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish for the EU, we could just make it democratic then I'd be fine with it. The only problem I have is the democratic deficit :frown:
No it's not that I just can't take him seriously! He seemed a bit of a joke when he was mayor, if people were to vote for him they'd do it for a joke...and he's part of that gang osbourne and Cameron were in so they'd all be secretly working together

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh tho so was Ed Milliband so I'm not sure that 'gang' really means anything
Boris is one of the 'big beasts' whose opinion poll is greater than the Tories. Him or Gove, still bad leaders. Osbourne is ugh and May is bleh. I wish Chuka Umunna was the Labour leader would totally get behind him

I can't take that big beast word seriously whenever I hear it I just think of it in a sexual way...and borris is no big beast in that way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louise12307
Well, if you wrote about the sectional/promotional groups in a way that highlighted their functions then it could be credited. For example, representation is a function and if you mentioned that the functions of pressure groups can depend on the type of pressure group they are then you should be good. As a function of sectional pressure groups is to represent a specific section of society and the interests of their members (example) whilst a function of promotional groups is to represent an often singular issue that is seen to be in the national interest (example)

However, other functions if you mentioned these include education, participation etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thanks!!
I wish for the EU, we could just make it democratic then I'd be fine with it. The only problem I have is the democratic deficit :frown:

how do you propose making it more democratic tho lol? the whole problem is that changing the EU is incredibly difficult and is therefore unlikely to happen.

one of the reasons I'm supporting Brexit, don't want the UK to become a part of a one-nation state
tbh tho so was Ed Milliband so I'm not sure that 'gang' really means anything

What you mean the university gang? I thought miliband was a bit younger than Cameron and that

Posted from TSR Mobile
how do you propose making it more democratic tho lol? the whole problem is that changing the EU is incredibly difficult and is therefore unlikely to happen.

one of the reasons I'm supporting Brexit, don't want the UK to become a part of a one-nation state

To some extent, membership of the eh could contribute to the illuminati theory of a one world government and if more members keep joining it could happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 717
[QUOTE="mollyadtr;65555817"]
Original post by Tej98

I agree, it's definitely not influencing his position in a positive way...with the conservatives it's undoubtably that there will eventually be a civil war however will the media promote it to the extent as the apparent labour civil war? Probably not

I also can't wait to see what happens to ukip after the Eu result - will they grow like the snp or fade to a slow death?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the current situation bears a striking resemblance to John Major's government in the 1990s. It was torn right down the middle over this single European issue which was intensified by the quarrelling over the single currency at the time. Starting with a majority of 21 in April 1992, this eroded away in by election defeats and resignations eventually resulting in a minority by December 1996/January 1997. Major tried to act as a peace settler but had his hands bound together by both rebel MPs and cabinet enemies which seriously undermined his authority as Prime Minister.

Cameron only has a majority of 12 which is even less and the civil war is certainly intensifying. Given the lead the Tories have over Labour and the ideological divisions within the latter party I doubt that the government will lose its majority in the same way. Corbyn is far too left wing for many a person's liking and Labour is a muddle in regards to their policies-a far cry away from New Labour who stood united and able to take advantage of the 'blue on blue' infighting. Cameron is also as you correctly mentioned ahead in most opinion polls compared to Corbyn who lags behind on many key issued even compared to Miliband.

As for UKIP, well it started at as a pressure group but either a Remain or Leave vote will still keep them going. I'm not sure Nigel will let their cause slip so easily away from more support from the British people of whom many voted UKIP in the 2015 General Election....
I can't take that big beast word seriously whenever I hear it I just think of it in a sexual way...and borris is no big beast in that way

Posted from TSR Mobile

This discussion at all costs cannot descend into Boris' sex life :eek:
To some extent, membership of the eh could contribute to the illuminati theory of a one world government and if more members keep joining it could happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

facepalm

please, the illuminati theory is absolutely idiotic and based on speculation, non-sense and pure coincidence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending