The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

how would you answer ' How effective are backbench MPs'?
[QUOTE="Tej98;65556607"]
Original post by mollyadtr

I think the current situation bears a striking resemblance to John Major's government in the 1990s. It was torn right down the middle over this single European issue which was intensified by the quarrelling over the single currency at the time. Starting with a majority of 21 in April 1992, this eroded away in by election defeats and resignations eventually resulting in a minority by December 1996/January 1997. Major tried to act as a peace settler but had his hands bound together by both rebel MPs and cabinet enemies which seriously undermined his authority as Prime Minister.

Cameron only has a majority of 12 which is even less and the civil war is certainly intensifying. Given the lead the Tories have over Labour and the ideological divisions within the latter party I doubt that the government will lose its majority in the same way. Corbyn is far too left wing for many a person's liking and Labour is a muddle in regards to their policies-a far cry away from New Labour who stood united and able to take advantage of the 'blue on blue' infighting. Cameron is also as you correctly mentioned ahead in most opinion polls compared to Corbyn who lags behind on many key issued even compared to Miliband.

As for UKIP, well it started at as a pressure group but either a Remain or Leave vote will still keep them going. I'm not sure Nigel will let their cause slip so easily away from more support from the British people of whom many voted UKIP in the 2015 General Election....

That's true, major even survived a leadership contest and a vote of no confidence that is impressive but with as you say-Cameron's majority of just 12, it's difficult to say
True the 12% vote for ukip won't vanish after this referendum...I know for a fact there's gonna be much political unrest still even after the result

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UKStudent17
This discussion at all costs cannot descend into Boris' sex life :eek:

Never again shall I speculate 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by popcornjpg
facepalm

please, the illuminati theory is absolutely idiotic and based on speculation, non-sense and pure coincidence

That is true...we should probably leave that there, if I think about it more I'll end up having an existential crisis again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student 1305
how would you answer ' How effective are backbench MPs'?

Talk about what their roles are eg:
Representation, redress grievances, debate, their work on committees of the house etc and talk about how they might not be all effective-eg they must not all be effective if the government have passed the recall act that allows constituents who are unsatisfied with their mp to hold a by election if they get enough on a signed petition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 725
[QUOTE="mollyadtr;65556845"]
Original post by Tej98

That's true, major even survived a leadership contest and a vote of no confidence that is impressive but with as you say-Cameron's majority of just 12, it's difficult to say
True the 12% vote for ukip won't vanish after this referendum...I know for a fact there's gonna be much political unrest still even after the result

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed so. Major achieved around 218 votes to Redwood's 89 but with any leadership contest featuring Cameron there is a good possibility he will emulate Major's result if enough MPs put aside differences and concentrate on the sake of their party's stability as well as the country's for that matter.

The UKIP vote could increase and the debate widen but if the next PM is a Eurosceptic then I believe that many UKIP voters including the UKIP leadership will get behind them to deliver..
[QUOTE="Tej98;65556607"]

I think the current situation bears a striking resemblance to John Major's government in the 1990s. It was torn right down the middle over this single European issue which was intensified by the quarrelling over the single currency at the time. Starting with a majority of 21 in April 1992, this eroded away in by election defeats and resignations eventually resulting in a minority by December 1996/January 1997. Major tried to act as a peace settler but had his hands bound together by both rebel MPs and cabinet enemies which seriously undermined his authority as Prime Minister.

Cameron only has a majority of 12 which is even less and the civil war is certainly intensifying. Given the lead the Tories have over Labour and the ideological divisions within the latter party I doubt that the government will lose its majority in the same way. Corbyn is far too left wing for many a person's liking and Labour is a muddle in regards to their policies-a far cry away from New Labour who stood united and able to take advantage of the 'blue on blue' infighting. Cameron is also as you correctly mentioned ahead in most opinion polls compared to Corbyn who lags behind on many key issued even compared to Miliband.

As for UKIP, well it started at as a pressure group but either a Remain or Leave vote will still keep them going. I'm not sure Nigel will let their cause slip so easily away from more support from the British people of whom many voted UKIP in the 2015 General Election....

Very true. Not to mention the fact that Major suffered from a bombardment of negative press and, quite frankly, didn't share the same dominant personality Thatcher had.
[QUOTE="UKStudent17;65557153"]
Original post by Tej98

Very true. Not to mention the fact that Major suffered from a bombardment of negative press and, quite frankly, didn't share the same dominant personality Thatcher had.

That's why major is such a great example for pm and cabinet with the power or presidential cabinet as his circumstances didn't allow him to be as powerful as thatcher, if anything it was almost a return to cabinet gov HoWEVER I wouldn't say he was a weak pm because he managed o keep the party together and survive all the terrible things after all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 728
Anyone watching today's PMQs? Nice to see after the two week recess period
Reply 729
What do you guys think will be in the stimulus section (A)?

Because I'm sure to revise the constitution but I don't know whether or not to focus on PM and cabinet OR judiciary?
Original post by Tej98
Anyone watching today's PMQs? Nice to see after the two week recess period

Might have to watch it on catch up later as doing revision at the mo, do you know if it usually goes into I player on the same day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 731
Might have to watch it on catch up later as doing revision at the mo, do you know if it usually goes into I player on the same day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so no but it's normally up on YouTube by around 3.30pm and is broadcast again on BBC Parliament at 11.30pm. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by faraa3
What do you guys think will be in the stimulus section (A)?

Because I'm sure to revise the constitution but I don't know whether or not to focus on PM and cabinet OR judiciary?

if you haven't started revision on either, I'd do judiciary. its way easier because the questions are really, really predictable.
I've just started 'revising' judiciary as a back up in case the other option is terrible. We went through this in class really quickly so I'm not feeling too confident about it but, i guess there are quite a few overlaps with constitution
Reply 734
Original post by popcornjpg
if you haven't started revision on either, I'd do judiciary. its way easier because the questions are really, predictable.

But do you think judiciary could be the stimulus?

and I have revised both slightly, but I want to focus on one more if there is a more likely chance for it being the stimulus
If a certain 25 Mark Question had the wording along the lines of 'Make out a case against the adoption of a codified constitution' such as in June 2010, Would you simply only deploy negatives of a codified constitution? With no balance on the other side?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaziye
For judicial cases you can look at the belmarsh case 2004, mental health act case 2002 and suspected terrorist bank assists case 2010

Thank you this really helped 😊
Original post by faraa3
But do you think judiciary could be the stimulus?

and I have revised both slightly, but I want to focus on one more if there is a more likely chance for it being the stimulus

yes I think it could.

I think Parliament and Judiciary will be with extract, PM and Constitution 40 marker.
Talk about what their roles are eg:
Representation, redress grievances, debate, their work on committees of the house etc and talk about how they might not be all effective-eg they must not all be effective if the government have passed the recall act that allows constituents who are unsatisfied with their mp to hold a by election if they get enough on a signed petition

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has the recall act been passed
Original post by Tej98
I don't think so no but it's normally up on YouTube by around 3.30pm and is broadcast again on BBC Parliament at 11.30pm. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending