The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

What prerogative powers does the PM have?
So far I have:
Appointing ministers
Appointing Lords
Declaring War
Signing international treaties
Commander-in-chief

Anymore?
What do you mean when you say 'divide between commons and lords' xx
Original post by keirjohnharry
Oh yeah @mollyadtr I doubt the predicted parliament would come up , "parliament carries out none of its functions adequately" was 2014 , I'd imagine it will be about the divide between commons and lords or something
sorry to be such a pain but I'm really confused on what people are predicting. Could someone give me a summary on all the predictions please :smile:
Original post by Student 1305
sorry to be such a pain but I'm really confused on what people are predicting. Could someone give me a summary on all the predictions please :smile:

I strongly think that constitution will be a 40 mark question and Parliament will be the 5,10,25. I also think that PM will be 5,10,25 and Judiciary will be the 40 marker but not as confident.
Parliament
- elected second chamber
- backbench MPs (only came up once and that was in June 2012)- could be effectiveness (question could be: Has the UK Parliament become an irrelevant institution?)
- Parliament and Executive

Prime Minister
- PM and Cabinet (or cabinet just on its own) I think this is the most likely question
- powerful or not
- PM's powers

Judiciary
- Neutrality and independence
- Human Rights Act
- powerful or not
- British bill of rights (this has been debated most recently so could test us on this)

Constitution
- codified/uncodified
- strengths of constitution
- some people also think recent reforms could come up
i hate parliament so much and in my textbook theres only a small section on Lords
ive given up on this exam
Thank you so much! how would you answer 'Has the UK Parliament become an irrelevant institution?' :smile:

Original post by jjbloomy
I strongly think that constitution will be a 40 mark question and Parliament will be the 5,10,25. I also think that PM will be 5,10,25 and Judiciary will be the 40 marker but not as confident.
Parliament
- elected second chamber
- backbench MPs (only came up once and that was in June 2012)- could be effectiveness (question could be: Has the UK Parliament become an irrelevant institution?)

Prime Minister
- PM and Cabinet (or cabinet just on its own) I think this is the most likely question
- powerful or not
- PM's powers

Judiciary
- Human Rights Act
- powerful or not
- British bill of rights (this has been debated most recently so could test us on this)

Constitution
- codified/uncodified
i dont have a clue about bill of rights or anything to do with lords. we havent been taught properly
Thank you so much! how would you answer 'Has the UK Parliament become an irrelevant institution?' :smile:

Just writing that out now so will put up when finished
Okay honestly starting to have a meltdown. I think I am officially starting to hit the "wall" but I have to keep going as this is my last exam.

I am panicking because I have only done revision so far for constitution and the judiciary. Can someone tell me which one out of PM and executive and parliament is easier/better to learn as I don't think I will have enough time to do all four now. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't give up! You can do this! I only started making notes yesterday and today and I'm just learning them as I go along - even I'm not too stressed :smile: Just read over everything and go over the things you're really unsure of. Re write brief notes on uncertain topics and look through them. If you get frustrated, just leave your work and do something for 10 minutes and sit back down with a fresh mind :smile: You'll do great, don't have this mind set while taking the exam because you won't perform to your best ability! I wish you all the best for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by AllanSmith22
ive given up on this exam
Parliament
- elected second chamber

Prime Minister
- powerful or not
- PM's powers

Judiciary
- Human Rights Act
- powerful or not

Constitution
- codified/uncodified

Also, don't you think that Bill of Rights & HRA is pretty much the same? I could imagine the question being 'The Human Rights Act is no longer fit for purpose - it should be replaced with a British Bill of Rights' Discuss
I personally prefer the PM and Cabinet question because they have only every asked the two sorts of 40 markers since 2009 xx
Original post by Louise12307
Okay honestly starting to have a meltdown. I think I am officially starting to hit the "wall" but I have to keep going as this is my last exam.

I am panicking because I have only done revision so far for constitution and the judiciary. Can someone tell me which one out of PM and executive and parliament is easier/better to learn as I don't think I will have enough time to do all four now. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much, you're a life saver
Just writing that out now so will put up when finished
Original post by alevelpain
Also, don't you think that Bill of Rights & HRA is pretty much the same? I could imagine the question being 'The Human Rights Act is no longer fit for purpose - it should be replaced with a British Bill of Rights' Discuss

Yeah that could be a question, could also be
'Assess the significance of the Human Rights Act on political processes in the UK.' OR
'Should the UK introduce a ‘British bill of rights’?'
Reply 875
I personally prefer the PM and Cabinet question because they have only every asked the two sorts of 40 markers since 2009 xx

In absolute agreement. PM and Cabinet is the easier to learn, concepts easier to grapple hold of and giving examples of leadership style or events isn't particularly difficult. I generally find it alright but feel free to DM me about anything more on the topic Louise12307..
Yeah that could be a question, could also be
'Assess the significance of the Human Rights Act on political processes in the UK.' OR
'Should the UK introduce a ‘British bill of rights’?'

The argument about the bill of rights is that it would remove us from the EcourtHR and EconventionHR , but to be a member of the EU you HAVE to sign the ECHR so its difficult to see how we could drop it if we're a member , no other EU member state is not a signatory to the ECHR.
Examples of parliamentary rebellions during Coalition which can be used for 'To what extend does Parliament control the executive/government'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11220885/David-Camerons-7-biggest-Tory-rebellions.html
Original post by Tej98
In absolute agreement. PM and Cabinet is the easier to learn, concepts easier to grapple hold of and giving examples of leadership style or events isn't particularly difficult. I generally find it alright but feel free to DM me about anything more on the topic Louise12307..

I agree with what they've said, too. :smile: Keep going! I think we can all share each other's pain with this unit.
Examples of parliamentary rebellions during Coalition which can be used for 'To what extend does Parliament control the executive/government'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11220885/David-Camerons-7-biggest-Tory-rebellions.html

Thank you! :smile:

Wow, didn't realise the true extent of these Tory backbench rebellions... 134 MPs over gay marriage. Damn!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending