The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foji
Can someone give me an example of a successful opposition day please!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Lib Dem Opposition Day Debate on Ghurkha residency was a defeat for Gordon Brown in 2009 with 267 - 248 backing. Together with public support - the government was pressured to give an equal right of residence for all Ghurkhas.This was the first such government defeat on OD motion since 1978.
Reply 1241
So what are 45 marker predictions? On the 'peped' website the predictions for the 5/10/25 markers are roles of parliament, parliamentary government and parliamentary reforms, then meetings, PM's appointments of ministers and extent of cabinet government.

So does anyone have 45 mark predictions? Would be very appreciated!!!
Original post by Foji
PLEASE elaborate on those theories and explain how it relates to a pm!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Foley spatial leadership:
He suggests these leaders deliberately make themselves into outsiders within government. They are potentially above government Separate from the rest of the governmentNow a space between the pm and government. Is beyond primus inter pares. Is separate from the governmentPm is personification of party- is the partySeparation of power between pm and governmentPublic perceive pm as partySense of a personal mandate people have voted for him directly

Hennessy context:
Prime ministers and their power is flexible, their power fluctuates depending on the contextCan be strong or weakPresidential power is not inevitable. PMs are vulnerable to external situations

Style Over Substance:
Pm might look presidential ways they operate/style/ how they deal with foreign affairs all due to media manipulation (media spin) they might look/ act like a presidential but they aren’t. theyre a prime ministerThatcher still removed by her cabinet

Joans elastic theory:
The pm can stretch their power look like a president but if they push too far it will snap the forces of constraint become increasingly strong Stretching of power
Original post by mollyadtr
😂
Don't worry I'm just as nervous...I do my exams in a shared room cause of my bad anxiety,politics is defiantly pushing my anxiety

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh wowww
Reply 1244
Just a quick tip for those who are thinking of doing pm and cabinet!!
Using these 3/4 theories will improve your answers if you can't necessarily think of many examples!!
1: Foley: spatial leadership - quasi president (beyond primus inter pares)
2: Hennessy: context
3: Style Over Substance
4: Joans: elastic theory

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, 'how effectively does uk constitution limit power of government'

Supreme court ensures it does, e.u & hra does, referendums do...
Only against point i can think about is lack of separation of powers which strengthens gov... Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1245
Using these 3/4 theories will improve your answers if you can't necessarily think of many examples!!

What is foley, Hennessy and joans?
Original post by Adam_Budd
Things like the changes under the Constitutional Reform Act 2005:
Moving to a Supreme Court rather than HoL
Removing the Lord chancellor
Independent appointments committee.

Less independence:
More political involvement through judicial review
Conflicts in the public eye between ministers and judiciary (Clarke and Blunkett both criticised judiciary.
arguments over sentencing between ministers and judges and the introduction of the sentencing council, a political institution.

Thank youuu! Any examples of judicial neutrality? Can't find a thing, though I seem to remember a judge being removed from a tribunal or something because of past involvement....?
Original post by UKStudent17
I would like Parliament to be a 40 marker tbh. With PM being a 25.

What I'm saying, really, is that I just don't want to do a constitution question :lol:

prefer constitution for 45 marker
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Thank youuu! Any examples of judicial neutrality? Can't find a thing, though I seem to remember a judge being removed from a tribunal or something because of past involvement....?

He was removed because it was a case over human rights and he was a fully paid up member of Amnesty International, this isn't really political nuetrality in terms of government though. I think thats the one you're talking about

He suggests these leaders deliberately make themselves into outsiders within government. They are potentially above government Separate from the rest of the governmentNow a space between the pm and government. Is beyond primus inter pares. Is separate from the governmentPm is personification of party- is the partySeparation of power between pm and governmentPublic perceive pm as partySense of a personal mandate people have voted for him directly

Hennessy context:
Prime ministers and their power is flexible, their power fluctuates depending on the contextCan be strong or weakPresidential power is not inevitable. PMs are vulnerable to external situations

Style Over Substance:
Pm might look presidential ways they operate/style/ how they deal with foreign affairs all due to media manipulation (media spin) they might look/ act like a presidential but they aren’t. theyre a prime ministerThatcher still removed by her cabinet

Joans elastic theory:
The pm can stretch their power look like a president but if they push too far it will snap the forces of constraint become increasingly strong Stretching of power
:smile:
Original post by Adam_Budd
He was removed because it was a case over human rights and he was a fully paid up member of Amnesty International, this isn't really political nuetrality in terms of government though. I think thats the one you're talking about

It might be? I'm just looking for a case where the judge is impartial or was removed because he wasn't... You remember the name? (:
Oh god I'm so screwed. I've been revising all bloody year and I've realised just now I don't know anything. I always panic in exams and just go blank. Any ideas on what to do when that happens? Tips on making it look like I know what I'm talking about? Tips on not blanking and looking like an idiot?
Original post by Foji
Also, 'how effectively does uk constitution limit power of government'

Supreme court ensures it does, e.u & hra does, referendums do...
Only against point i can think about is lack of separation of powers which strengthens gov... Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile

judicial review
decentralisation via devolution/europe
legal sovereignty, popular sovereignty
lack of separation of power
lack of entrenchment
[QUOTE="8600;65591853"]

Hennessy context:

Style Over Substance:

Joans elastic theory:

It's explained here :smile:. Might I add, that it's spelled 'Jones'. :tongue:

I read a bit more about the elastic band theory here if you guys want to check it out (Second paragraph) - http://www.earlhamsociologypages.co.uk/coreexexpres.htm
(edited 7 years ago)
How effectively judges hold governments to account with perhaps an emphasis on judicial review

plz help me i die/??
Original post by DeafeningSilence
It might be? I'm just looking for a case where the judge is impartial or was removed because he wasn't... You remember the name? (:

Lord Hoffman was removed from the extradition trial of General Pinochet in 1998.
[QUOTE="UKStudent17;65592001"]
Original post by 8600

It's explained here :smile:. Might I add, that it's spelled 'Jones'. :tongue:

I read a bit more about the elastic band theory here if you guys want to check it out (Second paragraph) - http://www.earlhamsociologypages.co.uk/coreexexpres.htm

oh **** thank you for correcting me that would have been disastrous :biggrin:
i will totally check it out :smile:
Original post by gingerboyben
Lord Hoffman was removed from the extradition trial of General Pinochet in 1998.

1998? Oh damn, not quite so contemporary. I guess I could use that as a backup, thank you (:
Reply 1258
What would you put for 'Why are some Pms more powerful than others.', I was thinking maybe talking about the presidential style that people such as Blair adopted saps well as maybe talking about Thatchers role towards cabinet.?..
[QUOTE="mollyadtr;65592065"]
Original post by UKStudent17

oh **** thank you for correcting me that would have been disastrous :biggrin:
i will totally check it out :smile:

help me pls

How effectively judges hold governments to account with perhaps an emphasis on judicial review

Quick Reply

Latest