The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
dont be confused by the question!! its just a different wording for the same question 'evaluate the need of reform of our uncodified constitution' you would simply talk about the arguments of how we shouldnt reform it and how we should reform it

eg we should reform it to join many other countries who have a codified constitution - modernity
eg we should not reform as our constitution is flexible and organic

Do you guys think the Constitution and Judiciary will come up on the same section again but either as sources question or 40 markers? ????
Original post by Shad4w
Do you guys think the Constitution and Judiciary will come up on the same section again but either as sources question or 40 markers?

I honestly wouldn't be able to predict, edexcel might be cheeky and **** everyone up by sticking parliament and constitution in the same section but it's hard to say

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea how I got a B in this exam last year. Trying to learn it now all seems like a blur, I know no examples and I don't think I'm gonna be able to write more than half a page for the 40 marker
Original post by Sapz_9
I am thinking it isn't going to be constitutional reform since that came up as a 15 marker in 2014 and a 40 marker in January 2013. As well as Jan 2012 and Jun 2009.

My predictions are strengths/weaknesses on UK constitution in general or on the constitution being codified/uncodified. Maybe also the location of sovereignty in the UK and how it's changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope your right
With location of sovereignty what kinda things would you right
Original post by Thebeast97
I have no idea how I got a B in this exam last year. Trying to learn it now all seems like a blur, I know no examples and I don't think I'm gonna be able to write more than half a page for the 40 marker

I no right
Original post by xxvine
I hope your right
With location of sovereignty what kinda things would you right

Firstly about how the sovereignty of parliament is challenged by the membership of the EU, being superior to UK law and UK laws cannot contradict the EU law either. Parliament has limited influence on proposed legalisation from the EU. How devolution is seen as de facto transfer of sovereignty and explain about devolution and how this has affected parliaments sovereignty. I would also add about referendums which cause a shift because they create a democratic way that creates a final decision as opposed to parliament completely deciding. Arguments against sovereignty moving location can involve things like Westminster still has say and authority on major issues. Devolved bodies only have power because parliament gave them power. Referendums are not legally binding so the government can ignore the results (this will make them extremely unpopular though).
Reply 1286
Is this ok guys?
c) To what extent is cabinet government relevant?(25)
BECOME MORE RELEVANT AFTER BLAIR Like Major after Thatcher (precedent)
AGAINST:
Personal authority of PM more powerful
Departments more separate, Leaders of each department rather than collectively part of the cabinet
Cabinet committees more separate PM there, SOC, Junior minister and Perm sec private, PM more directly in control
Bilateral One on one with ministers
FOR:
Precedent people want consensus after dictators
Cameron 2hrs Blair maximum 45 mins
More broad less dries like under Thatcher and Blair yes men
Weak majority government necessity
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sapz_9
Firstly about how the sovereignty of parliament is challenged by the membership of the EU, being superior to UK law and UK laws cannot contradict the EU law either. Parliament has limited influence on proposed legalisation from the EU. How devolution is seen as de facto transfer of sovereignty and explain about devolution and how this has affected parliaments sovereignty. I would also add about referendums which cause a shift because they create a democratic way that creates a final decision as opposed to parliament completely deciding. Arguments against sovereignty moving location can involve things like Westminster still has say and authority on major issues. Devolved bodies only have power because parliament gave them power. Referendums are not legally binding so the government can ignore the results (this will make them extremely unpopular though).

Just quick question how would you answer significance of constitutional reforms since 2010 or 1997
That really annoys me that question...
alright guys, im off now, going to relax before the exam and calm myself. good luck all!
Original post by popcornjpg
alright guys, im off now, going to relax before the exam and calm myself. good luck all!

Good luck! Come back on after and tell us how ya found it

Posted from TSR Mobile
predictions?
Question define backbench mod 5 marker how would you answer
Or a 25/40 marker on backbencher a in general
Judges and Civil Liberties - 40 marker 'hopefully'
BEST OF LUCK GUYS! MAY THIS BE BETTER THAN UNIT 1 FOR EVERYONE xx
Original post by Mars321
Question define backbench mod 5 marker how would you answer
Or a 25/40 marker on backbencher a in general

what would we need to know about backbenchers?
Reply 1295
Original post by MBenjamin
what would we need to know about backbenchers?

Their roles and how effective they are. In terms of scrutiny, how they do that e.g opposition days. Legislation, committee's etc, quickly google some evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
Their roles and how effective they are. In terms of scrutiny, how they do that e.g opposition days. Legislation, committee's etc, quickly google some evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks
Reply 1297
Doing a last min revision of possible 10 markers for the constitution and parliament. I'm sincerely hoping 'How powerful are backbench MPs' is for sure coming today as well as anything on 'assess the strengths of the UK constitution' or 'assess the significance of constitutional reforms post 1997'.

Good luck everyone, signing off so I can get ready to leave for the exam. I am confident that enough discussion and external revision will result in some excellent results :smile:
Good luck peeps
Hope we all do well....this thread has been awesome!!!
Good luck everyone!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest