Help with a question on simple motors

Watch this thread
danielcb12
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi Everyone,

I am a bit stuck on this question from a past AQA paper, unfortunately I can't find a mark scheme to help!The question is about the coil and magnets of a simple motor. The coil has 24 turns and carries a current of 4.3 A. The coil is made from copper wire of diameter 0.36 mm. The uniform magnetic field produced by the magnets has a flux density of 0.17 T.The work done to rotate a coil 90 degrees is 0.084 J.

5 (b) (ii) The conversion of work done to the kinetic energy of the coil is 83% efficient. Assume that only the long sides of the coil share the kinetic energy.The coil starts from rest. Show that the speed of a side of the coil after it has rotated through 90 degrees is approximately 5.2 m s-1.

density of copper = 8900 kg m-3

My attempt so far:

0.084 * 0.83=0.69 J

KE=1/2 mv2
=0.69 J

v=sqroot(2KE/m)

m=p x A x L

A=(pi) x 0.000182 =1.02 x 10-7 m2

I have tried various values for m because I'm not sure if I need to consider m as the mass of 24 lots of wire on both sides of the coil or just one side? but nothing gives the answer as 5....Anybody able to help? I have attached the whole question paper as I couldn't do the question on its own, but it is question 5 if anybody needs to look at it. Thanks!
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads