Turn on thread page Beta

Media Studies - Independent Study watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    :confused: i doing my a levels and was looking for some help for my media independant study coursework. my question is about how media violence reflects violence in real life (i have not quite worked out my full question/hypothesis yet :confused: ) but i can't find many links/information on it :confused: so i wondered if anyone knew of any websites/books that would help. reply if you do!
    thanx!

ReputationRep:
    www.theory.org.uk

Had a quick browse and there's a section in the resources bit about media effects, ie: the influence of media on people's actions. I'm sure there's be arguments for the opposite viewpoint, that media reflects the actions of society.

Sorry I can't think of any theories off hand though.

ReputationRep:
    Have yout tried searching newspaper websites like The Times or The Guardian? They might have some useful information.

ReputationRep:
    hmm what about the hypodermic seringe theory?! or something like that. i know theres a few to do with violence and the media but cant think off them rite now! sorry not much help, good luck
    ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    hypodermic syringe model (i was nearly rite!)
    inoculation model
    two- step flow model
    uses and gratifications model
    culteral effects model
    encoding and decoding model

again, probably not much use but as i said, good luck!
    ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    thanx so much there really helpful. after talking to my teacher ive decided to compare two films because of the violent acts. these are reservoir dogs because of the complaints about ear cutting thing and irreversible a new film which people have also complained about. (as you can see i still havent fully worked it put) but some of those theories would be v. useful! cheers again! if you have any other ideas rply bak.
    thanx
    ezawoowoo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezawoowoo)
    thanx so much there really helpful. after talking to my teacher ive decided to compare two films because of the violent acts. these are reservoir dogs because of the complaints about ear cutting thing and irreversible a new film which people have also complained about. (as you can see i still havent fully worked it put) but some of those theories would be v. useful! cheers again! if you have any other ideas rply bak.
    thanx
    ezawoowoo
    To go with the uses and gratifications model that someone mentioned, how about active/passive audience theory? That'd fit quite well with the topic

ReputationRep:
    my independent study is to do with branding and why it has become more successful in selling the product itself in advertising.... i was advised to pick two major brands like coca cola and macdonalds and show how the brand has become so important but how will i measure the success of these brands??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    my independent study is to do with branding and why it has become more successful in selling the product itself in advertising.... i was advised to pick two major brands like coca cola and macdonalds and show how the brand has become so important but how will i measure the success of these brands??
    Have you read No Logo? Might be useful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    Agreed.

Too measure the success I suggest you look at the correlation between money spend on advertising and sales turnover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    yes i knew it would be useful to read that as it discusses the immense power that branding has over an audience, also it is good to state that i have read it on my personal statemtent. I have to finish off reading it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Agreed.

Too measure the success I suggest you look at the correlation between money spend on advertising and sales turnover.
    do you mean the money spent on creating a brand??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    yes i knew it would be useful to read that as it discusses the immense power that branding has over an audience, also it is good to state that i have read it on my personal statemtent. I have to finish off reading it!!!
    I'm just under half way through it... thing is I like to read at night (i.e about 2am) and I can't concentrate!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 24, 2004

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.