Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Was the Ethnic Cleansing of Europe after WWII Justified? watch

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Sorry, wrong thread

ReputationRep:
    Population exchanges were an unfortunate feature of the 20th century. A lot of them were also fleeing the Red Army advance who bloodthirsty for revenge.

In this case I'm struggling to feel sympathetic.

The same thing happened at the end of the war between Greece and Turkey and the expulsion of Jews from Arab countries after WW2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Yeah, that's how I came across this one. Still, this was by far the biggest.
    It wasn't pretty but they got of lightly compared to the Russian civilian population at the hands of the SS.

ReputationRep:
    Except we were the Allies, and we were meant to be taking the moral high ground, not sinking to their levels. Didn't we enter the war to put an end to the death camps and expulsion of Jews, not create new ones?
    The Western Allies did conduct themselves properly, the Germans and Italians did to a large extent against them as well. The Eastern Front however consisted of medieval levels of barbarism on all sides. Stalin wanted to execute the entire German officer class until the Allies talked him down.

ReputationRep:
    What disgusts me about it is how officially and formally it was done. It doesn't particularly surprise me that atrocities were carried out - the scale of the annihilation Nazism perpetrated against Poles, Soviets and more has to be taken into account; it was always going to be hard to make the Red Army and others act like saints after what they suffered. But what's unforgivable for me is that it was Allied official policy to expel the Germans in Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc (and also the forced movement of millions of Poles and hundreds of thousands of Slovaks, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Italians, Albanians, and more), from both the British and Soviet leaderships.

ReputationRep:
    Russia didn't sign the Geneva Convention, so yeah, it was barbaric on the Eastern Front, though not sure if the Geneva Convention covers civilians or not.

Yes, but the article states that we specifically condoned this ethnic cleansing. That's not really keeping our hands clean, is it?
    I'm certainly not trying to justify it morally, but realistically it would have happened anyway as the areas in question were under Soviet occupation. Stalin's plan was to establish a buffer zone which involved moving potential threats away from the Russian border, due to them being invaded and nearly destroyed from the west twice within 130 years(Napolean, early 1800's).

The savagery stemmed from Nazi racial theories that viewed the Slavs as sub humans to be enslaved or wiped out which the Russians returned in kind. The Brits and the Scandinavians being Germanic speaking were considered racially pure and the French acceptable due to considerable Germanic influence over the course of history.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, true. I meant though that the Germans and Soviets probably felt they were free to treat civilians and PoWs as they pleased, without the Geneva convention. I have heard that Indians and other non-whites in the western Allied forces were treated better by the Germans than Russian PoWs.
    Hitler officially absolved the German Army of criminal responsibility for crimes against humanity in the east to encourage ruthless behaviour.

The Russian POW's were starved and worked to death as slave labour. I don't know about the Indian POW's but I can't imagine it being worse or it would have been publicised more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it didn't end there for them, a lot of Soviet PoWs were treated as traitors after the war, and sent alongside ethnic Germans, Ukrainians, Finns and others into the Gulags until the 1956. Imagine that, spending 1942-45 in a German concentration camp, then 1945-56 in a Soviet one.
    It's crazy to think this was all only c70 years ago.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Justified.. depends if you believe in revenge or not, it was definitely necessery if the germans stayed in the east they would have been slaughtered not just displaced. Still amzing tht it was the largest human migration ever though..
    As for subsequent genocides like the ones under stalin against tartars etc. no that was unjustifiable. The serb one was equally ridiculous.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.