Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 164
Size:  86.4 KBIn part one, you set up silmataenous equations in terms of tension and acceleration for p and q&r respectively, however according to the mark scheme, for the scale pan you don't take into account the reaction forces of r on q to find an overall equation like you would in a normal lift question? Are you meant to count the different masses as one or am I just simply doing my working incorrectly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutraltones)
    Name:  image.png
Views: 164
Size:  86.4 KBIn part one, you set up silmataenous equations in terms of tension and acceleration for p and q&r respectively, however according to the mark scheme, for the scale pan you don't take into account the reaction forces of r on q to find an overall equation like you would in a normal lift question? Are you meant to count the different masses as one or am I just simply doing my working incorrectly?
    Huh? I think there are reaction forces but you're looking at the scale pan as a whole system not the weights so you still only include the tension in the string and the total weight of the masses.
    https://2802a3b1a650824d2586fd3336bd...%20Edexcel.pdf
    ^^question 3 there for those who can't see OP's picture

ReputationRep:
    neutraltones
    Both methods fundamentally work. In this example the blocks P and Q accelerate at the same rate. Given that this is true they can be assumed to act as a single mass of mass 15kg. Ultimately the mark schemes method is a simplification of the problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.