Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    An interesting and unusual article about why Muslims should vote for Britain to leave the EU focusing on several issues of interest to Muslims not generally covered by the Brexit camp. It's worth reading it even if you are not a Muslim. It appears to have been written by an engineer.

http://www.amuslimcaseforbrexit.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Too long to read
    I downloaded the PDF to read another time

ReputationRep:
    It's not all that long and is less material than that found on most other websites campaigning for Britain to leave the EU.

The sections about The EU or the Wider World and The 1975 referendum are thought provoking. I do not think sufficient attention has been devoted to people of non-European origin living in Britain and the way that they will vote in the referendum by both the leave the EU and the remain in the EU camps. Do most black, Asian, and Muslim people really benefit from Britain being in a superstate with countries that they have very little to do with and may never have the desire to even visit most of them?

The section about the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) is absolutely spot on. It is run by the Council of Europe rather than the EU. So why oh why do so many people think that the ECHR is run by the EU when it plainly well isn't?

Economic factors makes a very valid point about the poor economic growth in Europe and countries outside of Europe having faster growing economies. As a person who has lived in and done business with Iran and had dealings with Japanese electronics companies I can testify that future growth potential for Britain comes from better relationships with countries outside of the EU. The reality is that the EU needs Britain more than Britain needs the EU.

I really like the reference made to countries in Central Asia like Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan and I'm surprised that nobody else has drawn a parallel between countries breaking away from the Soviet Union and Britain leaving the EU.

I'm not a Muslim myself but overall it's a worthy article with a reasonable amount of original material.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting perspective

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    The section about the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) is absolutely spot on. It is run by the Council of Europe rather than the EU. So why oh why do so many people think that the ECHR is run by the EU when it plainly well isn't?
    Misinformation, some of their unpopular rulings make good headlines for Eurosceptic newspapers. Even one of UKIP's Brexit campaign videos talks about criminals not being deported due to it.

ReputationRep:
    On the case of the Japanese, their PM believes we're betting off remaining in the EU with regards to Japanese companies investing in the UK.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0c2f16c-1...#axzz4AuvvUG23

ReputationRep:
    A few discussions with local Muslims has revealed that the majority of Muslims in London will vote to stay in the EU but the majority of Muslims who live in the West Midlands and Yorkshire will vote to leave the EU. They were telling me about how back in the early 1970s there were numerous textile mills in Bradford with plenty of jobs, but Bradford has not done well during the time that Britain has been a member of the EU. Most of the textile mills have now closed and nothing else has replaced them. Jobs in Bradford are scarce, and usually low paid, and unemployment runs high. There's next to no investment and what money Bradford receives from the EU is pennies. Now that countries in eastern Europe have joined the EU, then they will be the priority targets for EU money whilst poorer English cities like Bradford will be ignored. A vote to remain in the EU is a vote for more of the same for Bradford, but if Britain leaves the EU then there might be a chance that Bradford can be revived and made prosperous once again.

I am wondering if there are significant differences between Muslims in London and Muslims in provincial cities in Britain when it comes to international outlook. Take into account that London is technically a city state that has stronger economic, social, and cultural connections with Europe and many far away lands than it does with the rest of Britain outside of its commuter belt and a handful of other towns. It's probable that Muslims living in provincial cities have their ties with their country of origin outside of Europe but no connections with Europe; cannot see any benefits of the EU; and their locality has declined economically since Britain joined the EU. Could a sizeable proportion of Muslims in London have some connections with EU countries via their employment, or know that they benefit financially from Britain being in the EU?

Islam is not a recognised religion in some EU countries including Italy and Hungary. Several European countries are xenophobic, racist, and hostile towards Islam which would make them unpleasant and inhospitable places for Muslims to live. High unemployment, a poor job market, and the difficulty obtaining halal meat in many EU countries also reduces their attraction to Muslims. There's several cultural factors that could create conflicts between Muslims and locals such as the majority of Portuguese find it incredulous that somebody doesn't drink wine. This all adds further impetus for Muslims to vote to leave the EU.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.