English Language - how would you write a report ? What does it look like?

Watch
username2312801
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
#1
...
0
reply
username1986099
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#2
Report 5 years ago
#2
From: Whoever the report is report is from/persona name/your name
To:

Subheading
Paragraph

Subheading
Paragraph

*depends on how many paragraphs*

Recommendations
2
reply
dc1999_16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#3
Report 5 years ago
#3
for question 6, it isnt really what it looks like, all you need is...

powerful opening that sets a vague idea of what you are talking about
main argument
expand on main point with more ideas
counter argument and how it is not as good as your argument
powerful ending
1
reply
username2312801
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#4
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
#4
(Original post by dc1999_16)
for question 6, it isnt really what it looks like, all you need is...

powerful opening that sets a vague idea of what you are talking about
main argument
expand on main point with more ideas
counter argument and how it is not as good as your argument
powerful ending
Can you give me an example of a report question ?
1
reply
username1986099
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#5
Report 5 years ago
#5
(Original post by nisha.sri)
...
In terms of how it should be written, always make sure you have some sort of balance.
For example,

The local council has taken grade strides in order to improve the medical facilities in recent months and the recently constructed medical centre, which now plays a vital role in the community, has been essential to this improvement. However, there is still an issue with the waiting times for patients, and issue that is important to be resolved before the enrolment of this scheme throughout the borough.

So you'd have to develop it like, but there's the general gist of things.
0
reply
username2312801
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#6
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
#6
(Original post by danielwinstanley)
In terms of how it should be written, always make sure you have some sort of balance.
For example,

The local council has taken grade strides in order to improve the medical facilities in recent months and the recently constructed medical centre, which now plays a vital role in the community, has been essential to this improvement. However, there is still an issue with the waiting times for patients, and issue that is important to be resolved before the enrolment of this scheme throughout the borough.

So you'd have to develop it like, but there's the general gist of things.
Is reports likely to come up in exams ?
What is a report exactly ?
0
reply
username1986099
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#7
Report 5 years ago
#7
(Original post by nisha.sri)
Is reports likely to come up in exams ?
What is a report exactly ?
I don't know if they're likely to come up in the exam but it basically assesses the issue in the question(?) I don't know how to explain it but:

Say you got a question, "Write a report to the local council about the facilities for young people"
- You'd comment on the positives
- Highlight the next steps + improvements
- Offer your recommendations
0
reply
username2312801
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#8
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
#8
(Original post by danielwinstanley)
I don't know if they're likely to come up in the exam but it basically assesses the issue in the question(?) I don't know how to explain it but:

Say you got a question, "Write a report to the local council about the facilities for young people"
- You'd comment on the positives
- Highlight the next steps + improvements
- Offer your recommendations
Oh ok Do you need headings ?
0
reply
username1986099
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#9
Report 5 years ago
#9
(Original post by nisha.sri)
Oh ok Do you need headings ?
It's nice to title your report with subheadings before each paragraph - especially if your paragraphs have very different topics.
0
reply
username2312801
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#10
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
#10
(Original post by danielwinstanley)
It's nice to title your report with subheadings before each paragraph - especially if your paragraphs have very different topics.
Ok Thanks for your help.
Would these headings be good or do i need to add anymore ? To get an A* would this be good ? Aslo do i need a title
Introduction
Data collection
Findings
Recommendations
Conclusions
0
reply
username1986099
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#11
Report 5 years ago
#11
(Original post by nisha.sri)
Ok Thanks for your help.
Would these headings be good or do i need to add anymore ? To get an A* would this be good ? Aslo do i need a title
Introduction
Data collection
Findings
Recommendations
Conclusions
I wouldn't title the introduction and conclusion. Rather than general headings such as "Findings" and "Data Collection," you could have more specific headings related to the topic and interweave data into them. For example, when I did mine about facilities in the borough, I did like "Sporting Facilities" and "Youth Zone"
0
reply
username2312801
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#12
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
#12
(Original post by danielwinstanley)
I wouldn't title the introduction and conclusion. Rather than general headings such as "Findings" and "Data Collection," you could have more specific headings related to the topic and interweave data into them. For example, when I did mine about facilities in the borough, I did like "Sporting Facilities" and "Youth Zone"
Oh ok so for each point you would mention those
0
reply
LaurenHannahL
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
#13
Report 5 years ago
#13
Reports> Headings and Subheadings are essential (see below).
> For the introduction write why you are writing the report.
> Data Collection (write that as a title and make up statistics).
> Findings(Use quotations and number your points).
> Recommendation/Solution.
> Conclusion(what you hope the report has highlighted to the reader).
1
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads

View All