Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying my a levels. Hopefully ill be able to get some decent predictions for A2 and I'm also going to sit the LNAT this summer.

My only concern are my GCSE grades. I did get 7 A's and 5 B's. They aren't amazing but they're not so bad on the same hand.
    However i achieved a B in english language, which i assume is important for law.

Im hoping to apply to Birmingham and UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstudent217)
    I'm currently studying my a levels. Hopefully ill be able to get some decent predictions for A2 and I'm also going to sit the LNAT this summer. ham.

My only concern is if they look at GCSE grades. I did get 7 A's and 5 B's.
    However i achieved a B in english language..
    You have to list all your GCSE results on your UCAS application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    You have to list all your GCSE results on your UCAS application.
    Do they play a big part when being offered places/interviews? I know that most unis usually ask for the usual C in GCSE maths and language.

ReputationRep:
    Do they play a big part when being offered places/interviews? I know that most unis usually ask for the usual C in GCSE maths and language.
    in some unis they do play a big part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arvin Bhambra)
    only oxbridge..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arvin Bhambra)
    Thanks! Do you reckon i should email the uni's I'm thinking of applying to, to see if i have any chance of a place?

ReputationRep:
    3. They could be used to assess if you're suitable for a uni course
    The majority of university courses look for at least Cs in GCSE English, maths and perhaps science. Some university courses go further and ask for specific subjects at GCSE, with certain grades.

A management degree at the University of Leeds, for example, specifies that you must have at least Bs in English language and maths under your belt, while a psychology degree at the University of Bristol asks for ‘maths, English and science at grade B, but grade A preferred’.

Don’t let a disappointing GCSE performance put you off applying to the university course you really want, though – a good AS-level performance, for instance, could outweigh a set of weaker GCSE results.

Plus, since the reform of A-levels (as announced in July 2015), universities you apply to could use your GCSE grades more than before to decide whether to accept you or not.

4. GCSEs may limit the universities you can apply to
    Some of the top academic universities (often belonging to the Russell group of universities) will be asking for very high A-level grades – AAB or higher - for most courses.

Because of the assumed connection between your GCSE and A-level results, it’ll be down to you to prove you’re able to achieve top grades. Bs and Cs at GCSE are suggestive of Cs and Ds at A-level – which won’t be enough to get into some universities.

The more competitive the university and course, the higher the number of high-achieving students with top GCSE marks applying. Some courses actively state this in the prospectus – the Department of Law at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) says: ‘Most have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including the majority at A* and A’.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Do you reckon i should email the uni's I'm thinking of applying to, to see if i have any chance of a place?
    yea best to do that. dont want to be wastin your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tterb)
    only oxbridge..
    I was thinking the same thing. How about UCL and Bham for Law?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.