Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you recommend any really good anti virus protection software? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Can you recommend any really good anti virus removal and protection software which is free to download?

Please let me know guys!

Need to clean my PC from all viruses, spyware, etc.

I've had someone taking money from my bk.account >:l

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Built in Windows Defender/MSE is good enough to for most people.

Best free AV is Qihoo 360 in terms of protection (using Avira and Bitdefender engines) but can frequently falsely identify clean files as malware.

Other good free ones are Avira, Panda and Sophos Home.

AVG and avast used to be good until they threw random bloatware in with their products. They are now heavy on your system and have lower detection, compared to other products. Worse than pre-2015 Norton.

Paid ones are generally better if you really want to lock down your system completely. The best paid ones are undoubtedly ESET, Kaspersky, Emsisoft and Norton, for this reason.

Malwarebytes, herdprotect and Hitman Pro (all three don't run in the background) are very good for removing malware that is already on the system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyJP)
    Built in Windows Defender/MSE is good enough to for most people.

Best free AV is Qihoo 360 in terms of protection (using Avira and Bitdefender engines) but can frequently falsely identify clean files as malware.

Other good free ones are Avira, Panda and Sophos Home.

AVG and avast used to be good until they threw random bloatware in with their products. They are now heavy on your system and have lower detection, compared to other products. Worse than pre-2015 Norton.

Paid ones are generally better if you really want to lock down your system completely. The best paid ones are undoubtedly ESET, Kaspersky, Emsisoft and Norton, for this reason.

Malwarebytes, herdprotect and Hitman Pro (all three don't run in the background) are very good for removing malware that is already on the system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would say Qihoo 360 Antivirus is quite bloated though, if you want to use Qihoo 360, use their "essentials" version as its slimmed down.

But I do agree with use Windows Defender (or MSE if on Windows 7 or lower) and having Malwarebytes free with it as a secondary scanner

ReputationRep:
    If your wanting something bulletproof then go for Sophos. Best I've ever had

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    From what I've found you get what you pay for with antivirus. Free solutions are often terrible. I've been using Norton and never had a single issue. It's the only thing I'd recommend.

However many antivirus programs are completely unnecessary. Common sense online will prevent you from downloading viruses. Don't rely on any software to keep you safe.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above post. I've used Mcafee and Trend Micro in the past.

I have now been using Norton for the last 3 or 4 years and when i purchase my next computer for my home office I will be using Norton again. It does cost but I have never had any problems with viruses. I have downloaded plenty of malware no doubt but Norton always sits quietly in the corner until it pounces on malware. 10/10. I would recommend.

ReputationRep:
    I am using SafeBytes to keep my computer safe. It is working perfectly for me. You may give a try. Hope it will work for you too.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Hi guys,

Can you recommend any really good anti virus removal and protection software which is free to download?

Please let me know guys!

Need to clean my PC from all viruses, spyware, etc.

I've had someone taking money from my bk.account >:l
    Is it a pesky remainer, European, refugee or muslim?
    SkyJP gave you some good suggestions, but if youd just typed in best free virus protection review guess what it comes up with? You will soon be trolling like it never happened.

ReputationRep:
    The best one is your brain. You don't just get viruses... you have to do something to get them. Use common sense when browsing and downloading and you'll never have a problem.

After that I'd recommend MalwareBytes or Avast (probably both) - but Windows Defender should be good enough like another poster said. Comodo used to be pretty good a few years ago but I've not used it for a while so I don't know if it's changed. CCleaner is worth a download too.

ReputationRep:
    avg/malwarebytes

ReputationRep:
    I once used Avast free antivirus+Comodo firewall+ Malwarebyte anti malware (all freeware) and had excellent results. You can do a little research over the internet before downloading. This combination is even better than some top paid softwares out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ESET is really good. I used to use Norton, but that isn't as good as it used to be. I've also heard good things about MalwareBytes.

http://www.eset.com/us/personal-protection/windows/
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/

EDIT: I notice that for some reason, the link to eset.com isn't working. If you type it into the address bar, it shows you the correct site, but if you click on the link, it takes you to this weird advertisement for the Mac version of the software. I can't find a way to make it work properly. It goes through a redirect no matter which page on the site I try to link to.

ReputationRep:
    A Mac. 3 years of doing all sorts on the internet, yet to get a single virus.

ReputationRep:
    ESET's good, but a bit temperamental with HP printers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.