Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English Language GCSE paper - Tips for A/A* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have Any A/A* tips for the GSCE English exam tommorow?

ReputationRep:
    No matter what, finish the exam paper.
    Managing your timing is key

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halimah_1)
    Anyone have Any A/A* tips for the GSCE English exam tommorow?
    This

ReputationRep:
    Well if you are aqa spend
    Section A
    12 minutes on question 1
    12 minutes on question 2
    12 minutes on question 3
    24 minutes on question 4

Section B
    24 minutes on question 5
    36 minutes on question 6

Personally i find doing section b first much easier as it is more easier to manage time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 90210123)
    Well if you are aqa spend
    Section A
    12 minutes on question 1
    12 minutes on question 2
    12 minutes on question 3
    24 minutes on question 4

Section B
    24 minutes on question 5
    36 minutes on question 6

Personally i find doing section b first much easier as it is more easier to manage time
    I prefer to do section A first and then do question 6 then 5 as I find it much easier that way. Is there any other techniques that could be placed in section B to secure a high grade?.

ReputationRep:
    Section B also lets you write what you want to write, and you don't have to pickup what they want. So really you should ensure that section B is interesting for an extremely bored examiner who is pretty tired of the same old stories and arguments. Make yours stand out, but don't write about being chased by a group of primary school kids with chain saws, as they aren't all fun people...

I could do with some help for Question 4 as It's the hardest one in Section A

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillsWheels)
    Section B also lets you write what you want to write, and you don't have to pickup what they want. So really you should ensure that section B is interesting for an extremely bored examiner who is pretty tired of the same old stories and arguments. Make yours stand out, but don't write about being chased by a group of primary school kids with chain saws, as they aren't all fun people...

I could do with some help for Question 4 as It's the hardest one in Section A

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Question 4 is easy if you understand that you are only comparing language techniques. So firstly pick a technique used in 1 source and analyse why it is being used and the effect on the reader. Then you pick the same technique in the other source and analyse why it is being used and the effect of the reader. The only comparison that is being done is that they are both same the same technique.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, I think you also include some information in what's different and how + why a technique is being used

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you link the headline to the text without analysing the text in question 2?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.