Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, new to this but I'm really struggling for advice. I'm 18 and just finished sixth form, which happened to be the biggest waste of my time. Really interested in a career in the police, always have been but I know they will want me to have life experience which is understandable. But I know to apply for a officer straight away is a difficult task and the best way to do it is through being a Special Constable. My question is, do I get an apprenticeship (because I'm currently bored of my part time job of working in a hotel) and finish that or do I do both at the same time. Would be a massive help as I'm so stressed about life and my career path as University or College is not an option for me due to me not wanting any more education like that.

Thanks

I'd be very careful before going a) into the police generally and b) going in through the specials route.

The job has changed massively from the old day and I left after one year. The level of stress is immense and you have to bare in mind that the job will take a massive toll on you both physically and mentally. You have the shift work to start with which is incredibly anti-social and no matter what pattern they bring in it will always take you away from your home and loved ones (I can tell you my relationship with my girlfriend really did suffer and we nearly split). Also bare in mind you'll see some pretty horrific things including deceased persons - I witnessed people who had been hit by trains and had to watch the messy body recovery/assist carrying the body bag and help the people who witnessed the fatality - not to mention people with teeth knocked out! Furthermore the legal system is a joke and you'll find serial criminals (especially thieves) getting let out after 2 weeks and continuing their crime spree after all your hard work. Add in the general lack of support and respect from the public, the paperwork and management, it gets ridiculous.

I wish I had become a special (I did actually do the assessment days for the specials role) so that I wasn't as committed as I had been as a "non-volunteer" - I do know that it is not always the case that they get preference in recruitment drives and some find they are specials for longer then they planned because they realise they have the same chances as external applicants. Bare in mind that forces are starting to recruit externally again (The Met, Kent police etc) with most (but not all) saying the requirement is you need to gain the Certificate in Knowledge of Policing. However, it's relatively easy to become a special if your mind is in the right place and it will give you experiences to talk about in your PC interview if you want on to that.

My view point isn't the only one, however I did see a lot of officers talking of leaving but found they couldn't because they had nothing to go to. So in that respect I'd definitely get some sort of qualifications so that if you don't like it you can leave and move onto something else. I did A levels before joining but have come out finding myself needing to teach myself another A level to progress in another field (2 years taken off my life plans..).

So in sum... get some sort of qualification sorted out as a back up plan and look into the specials; this will give you the insight you need to decide if its the career you want to do. Oh and make sure you do plenty of research before hand; ukpoliceonline and the police specials forums are reasonably good to get different view points/advice. Good luck.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by F0XTR0T)
    Hi Guys, new to this but I'm really struggling for advice. I'm 18 and just finished sixth form, which happened to be the biggest waste of my time. Really interested in a career in the police, always have been but I know they will want me to have life experience which is understandable. But I know to apply for a officer straight away is a difficult task and the best way to do it is through being a Special Constable. My question is, do I get an apprenticeship (because I'm currently bored of my part time job of working in a hotel) and finish that or do I do both at the same time. Would be a massive help as I'm so stressed about life and my career path as University or College is not an option for me due to me not wanting any more education like that.

Thanks
    http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/poli...ble/index.html

I know someone who is in the same position as you. But he is deciding to do some police course in college and he is deciding to do Criminology in Uni. If you ever change your mind about go university then definitely do Criminology as many people who do that degree end up becoming police officers. The entry requirements aren't that bad, you only need around BBB-BBC differs depending on what university it is or if it is a joint degree honour.

I recommend you do work experience during the summer holidays in your local Police station so you get a feel of what they do and if the job is for you.

I just searched up the eligibility for the MET Police force and the minimum they want from you is Grade C in English or a higher qualification if you have any. The link is here for you:
    http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/ne...ligibility.php

The link said that "It's also essential that you have passed the Certificate in Knowledge of Policing (CKP) before starting a training course." So, during the holidays or any time that is fine by you must pass CKP.

I hope you become a great police officer! All the best

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.